Complex variables- graphing an equation

In summary, the equation pz + conjugate(pz) + c = 0 represents a straight line in the complex plane, with the real part of z being equal to -0.5(c/p). The graph will vary based on the values of c and p, but it will always be a straight line.
sarahs52

Homework Statement

Suppose that c is a member of the Real numbers, and p is a member of the Complex numbers with p not equal to 0, are given numbers.

(a) Show that pz + conjugate(pz) + c = 0 is the equation of a straight line in the plane.

Provide a carefully-drawn plot that illustrates your solution for a few given values of the constants c and p .

Homework Equations

z is a complex number (i.e. x+iy)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) After simplifying the conjugates: px +ipy + px - ipy + c = 0
After collecting like terms: 2px + c = 0
Solving for x: x = -0.5(c/p)

Now, I don't understand how the graph would look like. Would it be a vertical line on the real vs imaginary axes?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it to me.

sarahs52 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that c is a member of the Real numbers, and p is a member of the Complex numbers with p not equal to 0, are given numbers.

(a) Show that pz + conjugate(pz) + c = 0 is the equation of a straight line in the plane.

Provide a carefully-drawn plot that illustrates your solution for a few given values of the constants c and p .

Homework Equations

z is a complex number (i.e. x+iy)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) After simplifying the conjugates: px +ipy + px - ipy + c = 0
After collecting like terms: 2px + c = 0
Solving for x: x = -0.5(c/p)

Now, I don't understand how the graph would look like. Would it be a vertical line on the real vs imaginary axes?

Thank you.

I thought you said that p was a complex number; it does not appear so in what you have done.

RGV

p is a constant that is a member of the set of complex numbers. Does that make sense?

I see what you mean now, Ray. I think I got it now!

1. What is a complex variable?

A complex variable is a mathematical concept that involves numbers with both real and imaginary parts. It is represented by the expression a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part multiplied by the imaginary unit, i.

2. How do you graph an equation involving complex variables?

To graph an equation involving complex variables, you can plot points on a complex plane. The real part of the complex variable corresponds to the x-coordinate, while the imaginary part corresponds to the y-coordinate. Then, connect the points to form a line or curve, depending on the type of equation.

3. What is the difference between a real function and a complex function?

A real function has only one input, usually represented by x, and one output, represented by f(x). On the other hand, a complex function has two inputs, typically represented by z and its complex conjugate, z*, and one output. In other words, a complex function maps a point on the complex plane to another point on the complex plane.

4. What are the important properties of complex variables?

Some important properties of complex variables include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the Euler's formula, which relates the exponential function to trigonometric functions. Another important property is the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are necessary conditions for a complex function to be differentiable.

5. Why are complex variables important in science?

Complex variables are important in science because they are used to model real-life phenomena, such as electrical circuits and fluid dynamics. They also have applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and control systems. Additionally, the use of complex variables allows for more efficient and elegant solutions to mathematical problems.