Whoever helps me choose between these universities gets Ice-Cream 8D

• Schools
  • Thread starter Abyssium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universities
In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between pursuing a career in physics or a more financially secure field, the potential financial consequences of pursuing a PhD, and the best universities for preparing for a career in academia. The speaker encourages taking a risk and following one's passion, and suggests considering free education options in other countries. They also recommend choosing a university that aligns with one's research interests.
Abyssium
Hello! Now that I've caught your attention with the ice-cream...:tongue: Please help me with 2 questions!

Some background information:
I am due to begin my undergraduate studies nearing the end of this year. As I aspire to eventually enter academia and devote my career to physics research, I did some reading up and talked to several professors at local universities about my aspirations. I was warned of the sheer competition for places in academia and thus large likelihood that all the years spent on working towards a PhD or even a Post-Doc will still not lead me to my ideal career. It worried me and made me acutely aware that my decision about universities and even course right now may play a substantial role in deciding how my life turns out.

The questions:

1) Given that I am offered places in local institutions for more competitive courses (like Law) that assure a career with high financial security, should I perhaps forgo an expensive and risky education path in Physics? My family isn't wealthy and the financial aspect of a university education is still a problem - especially if I have to eventually pursue studies abroad in more internationally recognised institutions. If at the end of all these costly pursuits, I am unable to land a stable job, there will be serious financial consequences.
As subjects that are based on concepts, theory and abstract reasoning appeal to me, I have generally done well in both the Humanities and Sciences. Although for that reason Law does interest me, there is still a little voice at the back of my head enticing me to pursue my passion in Physics for fear that the "What If" question will haunt me for the rest of my life if I backed out at this point.

Although I know this decision is a personal one and ultimately depends on me, I would still like to ask for any experiences or opinions you think is relevant to my dilemma?

2) If I do eventually decide to pursue my a career in Physics (and hence the Physics undergraduate studies), which course and university do you think will best prepare me for competitive entry into academia? I guess key factors will be things like reputation, pedagogy and quality/recognition of research.

National University of Singapore - B.Sc Honours Physics
University College London - Msci Physics
Durham University - MPhys Honours Physics
University of Bristol - Msci Physics and Philosophy

For those less familiar with the UK system - Msci/MPhys is an undergraduate Masters degree. One can either go on to get a graduate Masters (MSc) degree after getting an Msci/MPhys or directly go on to PhD.

Thank you for bothering to read my lengthy post! Do feel free to share any thoughts, experiences or opinions you have regarding my decision(s)!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I was asking these exact questions for some time.

1) I won't tell you that the story had a happy ending when I chose physics, or more generally the thing I am passionate about, since I'm still studying. I just know for sure that I'd rather be passionate about what I do than be a rich or a "financially stable" person. So I encourage you to take the risk, most great things come with some risk.

2) Out of your options, UCL is what I would choose. You might want to consider other countries where education is free though, you would not need to worry about expensive tuition fees as you would in the UK. Leipzig University has a physics program in English and universities in Germany are free to attend, so consider that if financing is a big issue.

A general note on choosing your university is to choose one that focuses on the type of research you want to be doing, that way you can always find relevant courses for your master.

Did you get accepted to these already? :O
I would go to NUS or UCL hands down.

1. What are the available universities to choose from?

The available universities are: University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley), Stanford University, University of Southern California (USC), and California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

2. What are the criteria for choosing between these universities?

The criteria for choosing between these universities include academic programs, location, campus culture, cost, and career opportunities.

3. Can you provide more information about the academic programs offered by these universities?

Yes, each university has a unique set of academic programs and specialties. UCLA is known for its strong programs in the arts and humanities, UC Berkeley for its excellence in STEM fields, Stanford for its business and engineering programs, USC for its film and communication programs, and Caltech for its focus on science and engineering.

4. How do the locations of these universities differ?

The universities are located in different parts of California. UCLA and USC are located in Los Angeles, UC Berkeley is in the San Francisco Bay Area, Stanford is in the Silicon Valley, and Caltech is in Pasadena. Each location offers a different environment and access to different opportunities.

5. What are the career opportunities provided by these universities?

All of these universities have a strong reputation and alumni network, which can provide various career opportunities. However, some may have a stronger focus on certain industries or regions. It is important to research and consider the career resources and connections of each university when making a decision.