Definition of Z^*_p: Introduction to Ring Theory

• Thread starter OB1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, Z*p is a notation used in ring theory to represent the set of elements in a ring that have a multiplicative inverse. In the case of Zp, this set is specifically the integers, other than 0, with multiplication modulo p. This notation is different from the dual space notation and is only valid if the ring is a field.
OB1

Homework Statement

I'm studying introductory ring theory and have encountered the notation [tex] Z^{*}_{p} [/tex] with no definition attached. If anyone could provide the definition for this, that would be great.

Homework Equations

Don't think there are any...

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I've ever encountered * above anything was in the dual space, and I'm pretty convinced it has nothing to do with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I got it, it's [tex] Z_{p}-0 [/tex].

For a ring R, the notation R* is usually used to denote the set of elements that have a multiplicative inverse. (This set is actually a group, with the operation being multiplication)

The equation R* = R - {0} is valid if and only if R is a field.

OB1 said:
Never mind, I got it, it's [tex] Z_{p}-0 [/tex].
No, it's not. Zp specifically means the integers with addition modulo p.

Z*p is the integers, other than 0, with multiplication modulo p.
You can take the members of Zp to be 0, 1, 2,..., p-1 and the members of Z*p to be 1, 2, ..., p-1 but the operations are different.

1. What is the definition of Z*_p?

The definition of Z*_p is a mathematical structure known as a finite field, where p is a prime number. It consists of the set of all integers from 0 to p-1, and follows certain rules for addition and multiplication.

2. What is the significance of p being a prime number in Z*_p?

P being a prime number is significant because it ensures that Z*_p is a field, meaning that every non-zero element has a unique multiplicative inverse. This property is essential for many applications in mathematics and computer science.

3. How is Z*_p related to ring theory?

Ring theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the properties and structure of mathematical objects called rings. Z*_p is one example of a finite ring, and studying its properties can help us understand more complex rings.

4. What are the operations that can be performed in Z*_p?

In Z*_p, we can perform addition and multiplication operations. Addition follows the usual rules of arithmetic, while multiplication follows the distributive property and the rule that any number multiplied by 0 is equal to 0.

5. What are some real-world applications of Z*_p and ring theory?

Z*_p and ring theory have many practical applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. They are also used in areas such as physics, chemistry, and economics to model and solve complex systems.