Proving Perfect Squares: A Study in Number Theory

In summary, if C^2 = ab and the greatest common divisor of a and b is equal to 1, it can be proven that a and b are perfect squares. This can be done by showing that the square root of a and the square root of b are rational, which can be achieved by considering their prime factorizations.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

If C^2 = ab and the greatest common divisor of a and b is equal to 1, prove that a and b are perfect squares

Homework Equations

I know that if (a,b)=1, then there exists integers u and v where 1=au+bv (even though i don't think this is necessary in this proof)

also, I know that the square root of a perfect square is a rational number, if it is not a perfect square, then it is irrational

Lastly, I know that since (a,b)=1 that means a and b are relatively prime

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea how to do this proof. I know i need to show that the square root of a and the square root of b are rational, but I don't know how to do that.

Maybe I could do it by trying to show it is irrational and finding a contradiction? Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's pretty easy conceptually if you think about the prime factorizations of a and b. Try that.

Yeah, I figured it out like 10 minutes after i posted, it is really easy now that I thought of the prime factorizations of a and b. Thanks for the help though!

What is a perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that is obtained when an integer is multiplied by itself. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it is equal to 3 x 3.

How do you prove that a number is a perfect square?

To prove that a number is a perfect square, you can take its square root. If the square root is an integer, then the number is a perfect square. For example, the square root of 25 is 5, so 25 is a perfect square.

What is the perfect squares theorem?

The perfect squares theorem states that every positive integer can be expressed as the square of another integer. In other words, every number has a square root.

Is zero a perfect square?

Yes, zero is a perfect square because it can be expressed as 0 x 0.

Can a negative number be a perfect square?

No, a negative number cannot be a perfect square because when we take the square root of a negative number, the result is a complex number, not an integer.