Parallel Plates - Electron Liberation

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the time it takes for an electron to reach the upper plate of a parallel plate setup with a p.d. of 1000v. The first attempt at a solution involved using the equations f=ma, f=qe, and e=v/d to calculate the time, resulting in an answer of 5.335x10^-10 seconds. Another suggestion was made to solve for v using the equation ma=qE and then find the time taken, which would result in a time of 4.5x10^-11 seconds.
physicsfun_12

Homework Statement

Hello, I wonder if anyone could check my answer to this problem.

Thanks in advance

An electron is liberated from the lower of two parallel plates separated by a distance of 5mm. The upper plate has a p.d. of 1000v relative to the lower plate. How long does it it take for the electron to reach to upper plate.

Homework Equations

f=ma, f=qe, e=v/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I said F=ma=QE therefore QE=ma and since E=V/d=1000/0.005=2x105

a=3.513x1016m/s2!

Then using s=ut+1/2at2, t=5.335x10-10s.

Thanks again for any help

Mike

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i would take

ma = relativistic mass * dv/dt = qE

solve for v and find time taken

Hello, thanks for your response.

Is that differentiation? Not too sure about how to do that.

Any chance you could get an answer from your method and compare it to mine.

Thanks again,

Mike

4.5*10^-11 s

try it, its really simple

1. What is the purpose of parallel plates in electron liberation?

The purpose of parallel plates in electron liberation is to create an electric field between the plates that can accelerate electrons and cause them to gain energy and move towards the positively charged plate.

2. How do parallel plates work in electron liberation?

Parallel plates work in electron liberation by having a potential difference between the plates that creates an electric field. This field then exerts a force on the electrons, causing them to accelerate towards the positively charged plate.

3. What factors affect the rate of electron liberation in parallel plates?

The rate of electron liberation in parallel plates can be affected by the potential difference between the plates, the distance between the plates, and the strength of the electric field. Additionally, the type of material used for the plates can also have an impact.

4. Can parallel plates be used for other purposes besides electron liberation?

Yes, parallel plates can be used for other purposes such as in capacitors, where they store electrical energy, or in particle accelerators, where they can accelerate particles to high speeds. They are also commonly used in electronic devices for various applications.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with parallel plates in electron liberation?

There can be potential dangers associated with parallel plates in electron liberation, especially if high voltages are used. If not handled properly, there is a risk of electric shock. Additionally, the high energy of the accelerated electrons can also potentially cause damage to the surrounding environment or equipment.