Force of parallel plate capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force exerted by one plate of a parallel-plate capacitor on the other, given the plate area, plate separation, and charge on each plate. The conversation includes the use of equations for electric field and potential energy, as well as the importance of using an accurate value for the permittivity of free space. The final calculated value for the force is 4.71N.
rgold

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has a plate area of .3m^2 and a plate separation of .1mm. If the charge on ech plate has a magnitude of 5*10^-6C then the force exerted by one plate on the other has what magnitude

Homework Equations

Q=E Ԑ A
F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

so to solve for E i used the first equation: 5*10^-6C=E*(10^-11)(.2) and got E=1.67*10^6 V/m
First i want to make sure that i am moving in the right direction and also do i use 5*10^-6C as my q in the second equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
U= (Q^2)/(2c) = (Q^2)/(2ԐA) d and F=(dU)/(dd) = (-Q^2)/ (2ԐA)?
so F= (5*10^-6C)^2/(2 * 10^-11 *.3)?

is the answer then 4N?

Your approximation for the value of ##\epsilon_o## is very crude. A good value would be ##\epsilon_o = 8.854 \times 10^{-12}~ F/m##, but even ##9 \times 10^{-12}~F/m## would be better.

The appropriate approach to this problem is to find the electric field due to a single charged plate and then determine the force that it exerts on the charge of the other plate. Note that between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor the net field is due to the contribution of the fields from both plates; each plate contributes half the total field.
rgold said:
so to solve for E i used the first equation: 5*10^-6C=E*(10^-11)(.2) and got E=1.67*10^6 V/m
What does the "(.2)" value represent?

gneill said:
Your approximation for the value of ##\epsilon_o## is very crude. A good value would be ##\epsilon_o = 8.854 \times 10^{-12}~ F/m##, but even ##9 \times 10^{-12}~F/m## would be better.

The appropriate approach to this problem is to find the electric field due to a single charged plate and then determine the force that it exerts on the charge of the other plate. Note that between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor the net field is due to the contribution of the fields from both plates; each plate contributes half the total field.

What does the "(.2)" value represent?

that was a typo i meant to write .3 m^2. ok i used the 8.85*10^-12 and got 4.71N is this more accurate

rgold said:
that was a typo i meant to write .3 m^2. ok i used the 8.85*10^-12 and got 4.71N is this more accurate
That would be a good answer :smile:

gneill said:
That would be a good answer :smile:
thank you very much!

1. What is the force exerted by a parallel plate capacitor?

The force exerted by a parallel plate capacitor is equal to the product of the electric field strength between the plates and the charge on the plates, multiplied by the distance between the plates. It can be calculated using the formula F = EQd, where F is the force, E is the electric field strength, Q is the charge, and d is the distance between the plates.

2. How is the force of a parallel plate capacitor affected by the distance between the plates?

The force of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that if the distance between the plates is increased, the force will also increase. Similarly, if the distance is decreased, the force will decrease.

3. How does the charge on the plates affect the force of a parallel plate capacitor?

The force of a parallel plate capacitor is directly proportional to the charge on the plates. This means that if the charge on the plates is increased, the force will also increase. Similarly, if the charge is decreased, the force will decrease.

4. Does the dielectric material between the plates affect the force of a parallel plate capacitor?

Yes, the dielectric material between the plates can affect the force of a parallel plate capacitor. The presence of a dielectric material can increase the capacitance of the capacitor, which in turn can affect the electric field strength and thus the force exerted.

5. How can the force of a parallel plate capacitor be used in practical applications?

The force of a parallel plate capacitor has various practical applications, such as in electrostatic motors and actuators. It can also be used in microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) for precise positioning and movement of tiny components. Additionally, it is used in particle accelerators to accelerate charged particles.