EDTA Complexometric Titration failed why?

In summary, the conversation discusses a failed attempt at standardizing an EDTA solution for titration. The blank solution titration was successful, but the standardization titration failed. The procedure involved preparing a titration blank with distilled water, pH10 buffer, and Eriochrome Black T indicator. Then, a solution of calcium carbonate was added and titrated with EDTA. However, the titration required more than 80 mL of EDTA, which was unexpected. The conversation suggests that the issue may be with the concentration of the HCl used to dissolve the calcium carbonate, as well as the concentration of the EDTA solution.
keags0
In my attempt at standardizing an EDTA solution, the blank solution titration was successful, but the standardization titration failed... here's the procedure of my experiment with some details:

We first prepared a titration blank by using 35mL distilled water, 5mL of pH10 buffer, 5 drops of Eriochrome Black T indicator, which made a black solution. We then added 15 drops of 0.03M magnesium chloride to the solution, which turned it red. We titrated this using an unknown concentration of EDTA solution.

The next part of the experiment involved using 0.2-0.3g of calcium carbonate (dissolved with 1 mL 3M HCl and 4 mL DI water). We mixed this solution with the indicator solution prepared in the titration of the blank. We titrated this solution using EDTA, expecting somewhere between 30-50 mL to be needed. We went over 80 mL in 3 consecutive trials, and never ended up reaching the endpoint of the titration.

Any ideas as to where our experiment could have gone wrong?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Was the calcium carbonate dissolved? As far as I can tell there was not enough HCl for the reaction.

You should try to titrate much smaller sample of calcium, just to check. Could be EDTA concentration was too low. 0.01M solutions are routinely used (compare www.titrations.info/EDTA-titration-solutions), that would be not enough even to titrate half of the calcium used with 80 mL of titrant.

Yes, the calcium carbonate was completely dissolved. Also - the instructor told us the EDTA concentration was somewhere around 0.05M once the lab was over.

What was odd was that the class that had the lab the day before me had no problems titrating, whereas in my lab not a single person could complete the titration successfully.

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the EDTA solution itself, or anything used in the indicator solution since the blank titration went as predicted... but thanks for your input. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
If CaCO3 dissolved completely, concentration of HCl was was not 3M. Check the stoichiometry.

If concentration of HCl was not 3M, you can't be sure there was enough buffer to neutralize excess HCl, so you have no idea if pH was suitable for titration.

There are a few possible reasons why your EDTA complexometric titration may have failed. One possibility is that there was an error in the preparation of your solutions. It is important to accurately measure and mix the solutions in order to get reliable results. Another possibility is that the pH of your solution was not at the correct level for the titration to occur. EDTA titrations typically require a pH of around 10 for optimal results. It is also possible that there was an issue with the indicator used, which can affect the accuracy of the endpoint determination. Additionally, the concentration of your EDTA solution may have been incorrect, which can lead to incorrect titration results. It is important to accurately standardize your EDTA solution before using it in titrations. Lastly, there may have been an issue with the equipment or technique used during the titration process. It is important to use clean and calibrated equipment and follow proper titration techniques to ensure accurate results. I recommend reviewing your procedure and double-checking all of your solution preparations to identify any potential errors.

1. Why did my EDTA complexometric titration fail?

There are several potential reasons why an EDTA complexometric titration may fail. One possibility is that the concentration of the metal ion in the sample was too low, making it difficult to accurately measure the endpoint. Another reason could be that there was interference from other substances in the sample, such as other metal ions or complexing agents. Additionally, errors in measurement or calculation could also result in a failed titration.

2. How can I prevent my EDTA complexometric titration from failing?

To prevent a failed EDTA complexometric titration, it is important to carefully prepare the sample and standard solutions, ensuring that they are accurately measured and free from any interference. It is also crucial to carefully follow the titration procedure, including accurately adding the indicator and titrant, and carefully recording the volume of titrant added. Additionally, performing multiple trials and taking the average of the results can help improve accuracy and reliability.

3. Can the pH of the solution affect the outcome of an EDTA complexometric titration?

Yes, the pH of the solution can significantly impact the outcome of an EDTA complexometric titration. This is because the formation of metal-EDTA complexes is highly dependent on the pH of the solution. If the pH is too high or too low, it can result in incomplete or incorrect complex formation, leading to a failed titration. It is important to carefully control and adjust the pH of the solution to the appropriate range for the specific metal ion being titrated.

4. Is it possible for an EDTA complexometric titration to fail even if all the steps were followed correctly?

Yes, even if all the steps of an EDTA complexometric titration are followed correctly, it is still possible for the titration to fail. This could be due to minor variations in measurement or human error, or it could be a result of unexpected interference from other substances in the sample. Performing multiple trials and careful analysis of the results can help identify any potential errors or issues that may have led to the failed titration.

5. Can sample preparation affect the accuracy of an EDTA complexometric titration?

Yes, sample preparation can have a significant impact on the accuracy of an EDTA complexometric titration. If the sample is not properly prepared, for example, if it is not properly filtered or contains impurities, it can lead to inaccurate results or a failed titration. It is important to carefully follow sample preparation protocols and ensure that the sample is representative of the entire sample being tested.