Preparation of murexide indicator for Ca measurement

In summary, the American Public Health Association recommends preparing murexide indicator for Ca measurement by dissolving 150 mg dye in 100 g absolute ethylene glycol. However, a mixture of murexide diluted with K2SO4 (1:250) can also be used as a substitute. The indicator should be ground with NaCl and titrated immediately after adding it, as it is unstable under alkaline conditions. A color comparison blank can also be prepared to facilitate end-point recognition.
Baho Ilok
I want to prepare murexide indicator for Ca measurement using EDTA titrimetric method. I am following the procedure set by the American Public Health Association (APHA), however, I only have murexide diluted with K2SO4 (1:250). I want to know if I can use this as a substitute, and if yes, how.

The following is the procedure described by APHA:

Murexide (ammonium purpurate) indicator: This indicator changes from pink to purple at
the end point. Prepare by dissolving 150 mg dye in 100 g absolute ethylene glycol. Water
solutions of the dye are not stable for longer than 1 d. A ground mixture of dye powder and
sodium chloride (NaCl) provides a stable form of the indicator. Prepare by mixing 200 mg
murexide with 100 g solid NaCl and grinding the mixture to 40 to 50 mesh. Titrate immediately
after adding indicator because it is unstable under alkaline conditions. Facilitate end-point
recognition by preparing a color comparison blank containing 2.0 mL NaOH solution, 0.2 g solid
indicator mixture (or 1 to 2 drops if a solution is used), and sufficient standard EDTA titrant
(0.05 to 0.10 mL) to produce an unchanging color.

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't see why the mixture you have can't be substituted for the suggested NaCl/murexide powder. Even the mass ratio is in the same ballpark.

Borek said:
I don't see why the mixture you have can't be substituted for the suggested NaCl/murexide powder. Even the mass ratio is in the same ballpark.
Thanks a lot!

1. What is murexide indicator and how does it work?

Murexide indicator is a dye that is commonly used in chemistry experiments to determine the concentration of calcium ions in a solution. It works by changing color in the presence of calcium ions, allowing for easy visual detection of their presence.

2. What materials are needed to prepare murexide indicator for Ca measurement?

The materials needed include murexide powder, sodium hydroxide solution, distilled water, and a container for mixing the solution.

3. How do you prepare murexide indicator for Ca measurement?

To prepare murexide indicator, first dissolve 0.1g of murexide powder in 100mL of sodium hydroxide solution. Then, add 1mL of this solution to 100mL of distilled water to create the final murexide indicator solution.

4. How is murexide indicator used to measure Ca concentration?

To use murexide indicator for Ca measurement, add a small amount of the indicator solution to the sample being tested. The color of the solution will change depending on the concentration of calcium ions present. A darker color indicates a higher concentration of calcium ions.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with murexide indicator?

Yes, it is important to wear gloves and safety glasses when handling murexide powder and solutions. It is also important to properly dispose of any unused solution and to avoid contact with skin or eyes.