Only Sun and Earth in a system

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the length of a year on Earth in a hypothetical system with only the Sun and Earth present. Kepler's 3rd law, which applies to elliptical orbits, is mentioned as a possible method for this calculation, with the addition of accounting for the mass of the orbiting object. The expression for this calculation is provided and a refinement using the product of G and the Sun's mass is suggested. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the information provided.
nikolafmf
For a hypothetical system of a Sun and Earth (other planets absent), how can I compute analytically (or where can I find data on) the length of the year on Earth?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
uhh?? :confused:

it's a year! o:)

Do you mean, given its orbital characteristics, could you calculate its revolution about the sun from first principles?

tiny-tim said:
uhh?? :confused:

it's a year! o:)

Well, say, the length of a year (i.e. one revolution) in seconds...

DaveC426913 said:
Do you mean, given its orbital characteristics, could you calculate its revolution about the sun from first principles?

Let's say so. I know that 3. Kepler law gives the time of revolution, but it true for circular orbit. Well, Earth's orbit is almost circular, so may be the result would be good?

So, yes, for known distance from the Sun, to calculate the time of revolution if there were only Sun and Earth in the system (two body problem). Analytically. I have done it numerically, so I want to compare the results.

nikolafmf said:
Let's say so. I know that 3. Kepler law gives the time of revolution, but it true for circular orbit. Well, Earth's orbit is almost circular, so may be the result would be good?
Kepler's 3rd law applies to elliptical orbits, circular orbits being just a special case. This is very close to what you want. A slight refinement due to Newton says you need to account for the mass of the planet as well. With this slight modification,
[tex]P=2\pi\sqrt{\frac {a^3}{G(M_s+M_p)}} = 2\pi\sqrt{\frac {a^3}{GM_s(1+M_p/M_s)}}[/tex]
There's a slight problem with this expression. G and the sun's mass are each known to a measly four decimal places. The product of the two is known to nine places. It's better to use the product, denoted as [itex]\mu_s[/itex] rather than G and Ms. This yields
[tex]P=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{a^3}{\mu_s(1+M_p/M_s)}}[/tex]

Last edited:
D H said:
Kepler's 3rd law applies to elliptical orbits, circular orbits being just a special case. This is very close to what you want. A slight refinement due to Newton says you need to account for the mass of the orbiting object as well. With this slight modification,
[tex]P=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{a^3}{G(M_s+M_e)}}=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{a^3}{GM_s(1+M_e/M_s)}}[/tex]

Oh, thank you very much :) That is I was looking for :)

1. What is a "system" in the context of the Sun and Earth?

A system refers to a group of objects or entities that are connected and interact with each other in some way. In this case, the Sun and Earth form a system because they are both part of the solar system and have a gravitational and orbital relationship with each other.

2. How does the Sun compare to other stars in the universe?

The Sun is considered an average star in terms of size, temperature, and lifespan. It is one of billions of stars in our galaxy and there are estimated to be trillions of galaxies in the observable universe.

3. How far away is the Sun from Earth?

The average distance between the Sun and Earth is about 93 million miles, or 149.6 million kilometers. This distance is known as an astronomical unit (AU) and is used as a standard unit of measurement for distances within our solar system.

4. How does the Sun's energy reach Earth?

The Sun's energy reaches Earth through a process called radiation. The Sun emits energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation, which includes visible light, ultraviolet light, and infrared radiation. This energy travels through space and reaches Earth, where it is essential for supporting life through photosynthesis and other processes.

5. Are there any other planets in our solar system with conditions similar to Earth?

Currently, Earth is the only planet in our solar system that is known to have conditions suitable for supporting life. However, there are ongoing studies and explorations of other planets and moons in our solar system that may have the potential for harboring life in the future.