Explaining Attached Image to a 6yr Old: Tips & Tricks

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to explain the concepts of gears and belts to a 6-year-old child. The use of animated images and simple cylindrical objects are suggested as helpful tools for visualizing the mechanisms. The direction of rotation in gears and belts is also explained, and two ways to solve a particular puzzle are discussed. Ultimately, the conclusion is that the box will open in this scenario.
Azari
Hello,

Can someone please provide a more detailed explanation for the attached image? :) i need to explain this to my 6yr old nephew and I honestly cannot find an explanation for his age.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 3902_614162525271785_1381259319_n.jpg
    3902_614162525271785_1381259319_n.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,803
Engineering news on Phys.org
Animated images are one way:

gear_stack_rotating_PA_md_wm.gif

p.gif

chain1.gif

Using simple cylindrical objects (little wheels for example) on one another or with a cord to represent the belt (twisted or not) may help visualized as well.

In any case, the next gear always turn in opposite direction, except with the non-twisted belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for the great reply. It helped a lot :) Thank you

Can you determine if the box will close or open without following the pinions one by one? Only by the number of pinions involved in the whole structure?

Yes you can do it numerically but it is not as safe.

Concepts needed, crank handle, meshed gears, parallel belts, crossed belts, and winch drum.

Where two gears mesh the rotation direction reverses.
Where a belt connects two pulleys there is no change of rotation, unless the belt is crossed.

There are two ways to solve this puzzle.
1. Draw more direction arrows as you work along the gears and belts of the mechanism.

2. Count using tokens such as “clock” and “anti”, flipping the token for every reversal.
Use = for a parallel belt, x is a crossed belt. c is clockwise, a is anticlockwise.
The sequence here is “ ca = acaca x cacac x aca ”
So output is opposite direction to input. The box opens.

Thank you, Baluncore.

Related to Explaining Attached Image to a 6yr Old: Tips & Tricks

What is the best way to explain an attached image to a 6-year-old?

The best way to explain an attached image to a 6-year-old is to use simple and descriptive language. Start by pointing out the main subject or object in the image and then describe it using basic vocabulary. You can also ask them open-ended questions to encourage them to make observations and connections.

How can I make the explanation more engaging for a 6-year-old?

To make the explanation more engaging, you can use a variety of teaching methods such as storytelling, role-playing, or creating a game. You can also relate the image to something they are familiar with or make it interactive by asking them to point out specific details in the image.

What are some tips for making the explanation age-appropriate?

To make the explanation age-appropriate, use language and concepts that are suitable for a 6-year-old's cognitive and emotional development. Avoid using complex words and technical terms, and instead, use everyday language. You can also use visual aids or real-life examples to help them understand the image better.

How can I encourage a 6-year-old's curiosity and critical thinking skills during the explanation?

To encourage a 6-year-old's curiosity and critical thinking skills, you can ask them open-ended questions, such as "What do you think is happening in this image?" or "Why do you think this character is making that face?" This will help them think critically and make connections between the image and their own experiences.

What should I do if the 6-year-old doesn't understand the explanation?

If the 6-year-old doesn't understand the explanation, try using different approaches, such as using simpler language or providing more context. You can also ask them to explain the image back to you to see if they have understood it correctly. If they are still having difficulty, it's okay to take a break and come back to it later.