'red flags' in searching for graduate schools

In summary, the speaker is considering applying for grad school in aerospace engineering and is interested in the University of Alabama Huntsville. However, they are concerned about the lax admissions requirements and wonder if it reflects on the quality of the program. They found that the school does require transcripts for degree admission, but it is not explicitly stated on their website. They also discovered that early submission of the application is encouraged for funding consideration.
ehilge
Hey all, I'm in the final stages of making a decision on where I will apply for grad school in aerospace engineering. I was looking pretty strongly at the University of Alabama Huntsville. They seem to do some pretty good research in the area I'm interested in, and I'm sure they have some industry partnerships with Marshal/Redstone. My concern is that they're admissions requirements seem alarmingly lax. From what I can tell, they don't even require you to submit a transcript or letter of rec, they list the application deadline for next fall as mid-July, and offer "unconditional admittance" if you meet certain criteria. I assume they are doing some sort of enrollment drive, but should I be concerned that these lax requirements reflect on the quality of the program as a whole? Given, this school would be my fallback option, but c'mon, there still need to be some standards don't there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Less than five minutes on their website produced this: "Applicants for degree admission must submit complete transcripts from all colleges and universities attended."

hmmmm... I see what you mean, my bad. In my defense, after you create an account and start the application, it doesn't direct you to submit a transcript. Also, i found that in reference to my point on the application deadline, it does say that to be considered for funding, it is strongly encouraged to submit your application months ahead of the posted due date. So I suppose I shouldn't be as concerned as I originally was. Sorry to waste your time...

Related to 'red flags' in searching for graduate schools

1. What are some common red flags to watch out for when researching graduate schools?

Common red flags to look out for when researching graduate schools include high attrition rates, lack of funding opportunities, poor job placement rates for graduates, and negative reviews from current or former students.

2. Is it important to consider a graduate school's accreditation?

Yes, accreditation is crucial when considering a graduate school. Accreditation ensures that the school and its programs meet certain standards of quality and rigor, and that your degree will be recognized by other institutions and potential employers.

3. Can a low acceptance rate be a red flag for a graduate school?

Not necessarily. A low acceptance rate may indicate a highly competitive program, but it does not necessarily reflect the quality of the school. It's important to also consider other factors such as program offerings, faculty, and resources.

4. How can I research a graduate school's faculty and their qualifications?

You can research a graduate school's faculty by visiting their website, reviewing their bios and publications, and reaching out to current or former students for their experiences with specific professors. You can also check for faculty awards and recognition in their respective fields.

5. Are there any red flags to watch out for during a graduate school interview?

Yes, some red flags to watch out for during a graduate school interview include unprofessional or disorganized communication from the school, lack of transparency about program requirements and expectations, and vague or dismissive answers to your questions. It's important to trust your instincts and thoroughly research the program before making a decision.