Maximum shear stress in square tubing

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for calculating the maximum shear stress in a square tube and whether it occurs at the neutral axis. The formula provided assumes sharp corners and is a close enough approximation even if rounded corners are ignored.
bigislander72
Does anyone have the equation for this. I tried one from my textbook, and the answer I get is less than the average shear stress which is impossible. So I was curious to look at onother version, because perhaps the eq. has a typo? Also, does it occur at the neutral axis like it would in a round shaft? I thought I remebered my prof. say not, but I am out of school now; don't have those resources anymore!

Engineering news on Phys.org
bigislander72: Yes, the maximum shear stress occurs at the square tube neutral axis, and is tau_max = 0.75(V/t)[b^3 - (b - 2*t)^3]/[b^4 - (b - 2*t)^4], where V = transverse shear force on cross section, b = square tube outside width, and t = wall thickness. This formula assumes sharp corners, or ignores rounded corners, which is a close enough approximation.

What is maximum shear stress in square tubing?

The maximum shear stress in square tubing refers to the maximum amount of force that can be applied to the tubing before it starts to deform or break. It is an important measure of the strength and stability of the tubing.

How is maximum shear stress calculated for square tubing?

The maximum shear stress in square tubing is calculated by dividing the maximum shear force by the cross-sectional area of the tubing. The formula is τ = F/A, where τ is the maximum shear stress, F is the maximum shear force, and A is the cross-sectional area.

What factors affect the maximum shear stress in square tubing?

The maximum shear stress in square tubing is affected by various factors such as the material of the tubing, the dimensions of the tubing, the type of load applied, and the support conditions. A higher tensile strength and larger cross-sectional area can result in a higher maximum shear stress capacity.

Why is it important to consider maximum shear stress in square tubing?

It is important to consider the maximum shear stress in square tubing to ensure that the tubing can withstand the expected loads and maintain its structural integrity. If the maximum shear stress is exceeded, the tubing may deform or fail, leading to potential safety hazards or expensive repairs.

How can the maximum shear stress in square tubing be reduced?

The maximum shear stress in square tubing can be reduced by using a stronger material, increasing the dimensions of the tubing, or reinforcing the tubing with additional supports. It is also important to carefully consider the type and magnitude of the expected loads in the design process to minimize the maximum shear stress.