Introducing the Thanks button

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: yeah, I think "like" would be a better word to describe my feelings. Not on PF :)yeah, i change my comment when i realized what it sounded like,sorry about that.
Introducing the "Thanks" button!

We are introducing the "Praise Button"! You'll find it next to "Report" for each post. This is a way to reward members who posted something you appreciate. It is a combination of "Like" and "Thank you".

Member's praise record is located publicly in their member pages via the praise tab. Your personal praise counter is at the top right of every page near your PM message link.

Show the love and start praising members! :)* has since been renamed to "Thanks" button

Last edited:
Likes 9 people
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
We are introducing the "Praise Button"! You'll find it next to "Report" for each post. This is a way to reward members who posted something you appreciate. It is a combination of "Like" and "Thank you".

Member's praise record is located publicly in their member pages via the praise tab. Your personal praise counter is at the top right of every page near your PM message link.

Show the love and start praising members! :)
Hmm I don't see the "praise tab". I've looked up in 3 member's profiles, I don't see it.

Likes 1 person
fluidistic said:
Hmm I don't see the "praise tab". I've looked up in 3 member's profiles, I don't see it.

Then they don't have any praises yet :)

I just gave you one.

Can one praise oneself?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Then they don't have any praises yet :)

I just gave you one.

Actually I see the number of praises (0 in my case) when I choose to view my profile as everyone else, under the "infractions" tab. I've taken a screenshot. Pretty strange :P

Edit: Now that you've given me 1, I see the tab. Thanks it works. But under the infraction tab, I still see 0 praise(s). o_0

Attachments

• inf.jpg
    inf.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 478
fluidistic said:
Actually I see the number of praises (0 in my case) when I choose to view my profile as everyone else, under the "infractions" tab. I've taken a screenshot. Pretty strange :P

Edit: Now that you've given me 1, I see the tab. Thanks it works. But under the infraction tab, I still see 0 praise(s). o_0

ah that is a malfunction I can quickly resolve

Greg Bernhardt said:
ah that is a malfunction I can quickly resolve

Ok now it's perfect :D

I want to praise myself :[

Likes 1 person
WannabeNewton said:
I want to praise myself :[
Oh, c'mon. You don't need PF for that when you can do it in the privacy of your own bedroom. :biggrin:

Likes 2 people
strangerep said:
oh, c'mon. You don't need pf for that when you can do it in the privacy of your own bedroom. :biggrin:
looooooooooooooooooool my god this is a brilliant comment

WannabeNewton said:
looooooooooooooooooool my god this is a brilliant comment

Maby you should praise it.

flatmaster said:
Maby you should praise it.

And report it too.

atyy said:
And report it too.
I can't now that I praised myself ;)

WannabeNewton said:
I can't now that I praised myself ;)

Wash your hands.

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:

Show the love and start praising members! :)

and this will lead to the "Most Praised Poster Award".

so can we praise ourselves?

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Wash your hands.
:rofl:

jedishrfu said:
and this will lead to the "Most Praised Poster Award".

so can we praise ourselves?

We don't have to embarrass people now do we? We already know WTN praises himself the most... :D

Hey, I don't know if this thing is working properly. Can one of you guys praise me so I can see if it works? Just hit that praise button by my name right there, the one that says "DiracPool" Thanks.

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:
We don't have to embarrass people now do we? We already know WTN praises himself the most... :D
This is true...excuse me while I wash my hands...again xDD

DiracPool said:
Hey, I don't know if this thing is working properly. Can one of you guys praise me so I can see if it works? Just hit that praise button by my name right there, the one that says "DiracPool" Thanks.

special delivery! you got praise!

Greg Bernhardt said:
wheres my praise :[

Likes 1 person
Greg Bernhardt said:

Yay, look at me, I got a praise. I'm cool. Thanks Greg. :biggrin:

We hit 50 praises in 12 hours. Now that is showing the love! Keep it up!

Likes 1 person
OH my, i can praise my own post.

yeah, i change my comment when i realized what it sounded like,
sorry about that.

If it's meant to represent something between "like" and "thanks," I think "praise" is too positive a term. I've actually read very few posts in my time here that I'd feel deserve praise, while I read posts I like every day, and posts I might feel gratitude for fairly often.

I don't know if others are balking at "praise" -ing things they merely like, as I am, but it could be the button would be hit more often if it were downgraded to "applause" or "appreciation," or something less suggestive of religious awe and rapture.

Likes 1 person
zoobyshoe said:
If it's meant to represent something between "like" and "thanks," I think "praise" is too positive a term. I've actually read very few posts in my time here that I'd feel deserve praise, while I read posts I like every day, and posts I might feel gratitude for fairly often.

I don't know if others are balking at "praise" -ing things they merely like, as I am, but it could be the button would be hit more often if it were downgraded to "applause" or "appreciation," or something less suggestive of religious awe and rapture.

I went by this definition I found.

'Express warm approval or admiration of"

Also "appreciation" doesn't fit as a button in that space.

So that is what we are going off of. If you find a post where you feel warm approval. Praise them. Forget any other connotations of the word. I'd hate to see you not give praise because you are caught up on the strict meaning of the word.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:

Check your praises. :tongue: When you hover over the button, it does say it's just a "thanks or like".

Oooh, when you push on the praise button on your own post, it tells you how many praises you have. I've been praised! <sniff> I'm feeling the love. :!)

Last edited:
Likes 3 people
Likes 1 person
To help combat spamming we've set the praise button to show only if you have 5 or more posts.

I'm relieved that I, as yet, am not the target of the vilification button.

Likes 1 person
Is it possible to find out how many praises a post gets? Even if you don't want to make it public information, could you at least make the user himself able to see what posts got praise and how much praise?

lugita15 said:
Is it possible to find out how many praises a post gets? Even if you don't want to make it public information, could you at least make the user himself able to see what posts got praise and how much praise?

Did Evo answer this question in post #30?