Expert Astrophotography Tips & Discussions | Share Your Photos!

In summary, this thread is for those who are interested in astrophotography. It provides a forum for members to share their expert knowledge with other PF members. It also provides a space for members to share pictures of their astrophotography.
Nice captures Davenn.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Aurora timlapse...

Here's a short 90 frame time-lapse. Shot from approx 50 degrees n latitude. ISO 1600, F/4, Lens 21mm, 30 sec exp, 15 sec interval. May 04/2013

Last edited by a moderator:
spark802 said:
Nice captures Davenn.

Thanky :) it really was a rushed last moment ( Oh heck, there's an eclipse happening right now) scenario haha

Dave

Natural beauty

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/029/060/i02/earth-sky-2nd-place-beauty.jpg
“Crossed Destinies” by Luc Perrot from Reunion Island of France (Indian Ocean) is the second place winner in the Beauty of the Night Sky category.

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/029/064/i02/earth-sky-3rd-place-beauty.jpg
"Meteor Magic" by Shannon Bileski for her March 2013 outstanding capture of a streaking fireball and colorful aurora over a snow-covered lake in Canada.

http://i.space.com/images/i/000/029/067/i02/earth-sky-5th-place-beauty.jpg
“Totality” by Geoff Sims. The 2012 Nov. 14 photo has captured the total solar eclipse over Queensland, Australia.

Night Vision Binoculars

I was looking into the BIPH (Binocular Photon Machine) binoculars, a bit of a novelty I suppose, but I got to wondering if the device, or others like it, would work in space, from the ISS say. I saw a video of stars being videoed in real time through them, something they can not do with a regular video camera in space, or from Earth either I don't think. The Moon and maybe Venus are bright enough to video. Anyway, just though there must be some use they could be put to if they would work in space.

Solon said:
I was looking into the BIPH (Binocular Photon Machine) binoculars, a bit of a novelty I suppose, but I got to wondering if the device, or others like it, would work in space, from the ISS say. I saw a video of stars being videoed in real time through them, something they can not do with a regular video camera in space, or from Earth either I don't think. The Moon and maybe Venus are bright enough to video. Anyway, just though there must be some use they could be put to if they would work in space.

You can easily take video of even quite dim stars, in fact it is a standard technique used by amateurs for measuring the duration of occultations.

You can easily take video of even quite dim stars,

Not at 24 FPS you can't. The videos are strung together stills.

Mintron 12V6HC-EX

This camera accumulates light for up to two and a half seconds outputting apparently continuous video.

The BIPH shows the stars in real time, you can smoothly pan around.
There are 4, colour video cameras on Canadarm2 on the ISS, but you've never seen them used to view the stars, or planets, not even the Moon, so that's why I was wondering what a BIPH would display.

Solon said:
Not at 24 FPS you can't. The videos are strung together stills.

Some of the videos you might find on the internet are strung together stills. However I have actually recorded video of some your "impossible" objects (Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, the Sun, the asteroid 30 Urania, field stars, etc). High FPS video is THE standard source for high quality planetary imaging and is not limited just to the moon and Venus. Stars is no problem either but generally there is no reason to use video for stars.

Stars is no problem either but generally there is no reason to use video for stars.

I read that some digital cameras will pick out the brighter stars at 1 second exposure, my old beast needs about 4 , and 10 to 15 seconds for best results. To tell me you can video stars at 24 FPS sounds highly doubtful. Do you have examples?
And that still doesn't answer as to if the BIPH will work in space. I see that they are thinking of taking one on the private manned Mars trip, as when (big if) they get there, they will be on the night side of Mars, so think they may be able to see something with the device.

Comet Pan-STARRS through a BIPH. (From Earth of course)
5762959-IMG_0742.jpg

glappkaeft said:
Some of the videos you might find on the internet are strung together stills. However I have actually recorded video of some your "impossible" objects (Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, the Sun, the asteroid 30 Urania, field stars, etc). High FPS video is THE standard source for high quality planetary imaging and is not limited just to the moon and Venus. Stars is no problem either but generally there is no reason to use video for stars.

the Sun, Moon, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are simple with video, they are very bright compared to stars

the brightest stars yes, most of those you will probably capture but unless the the camera has a particularly sensitive sensor, you are not likely to get much below 2nd magnitude

Dave

In the case of 30 Urania we used a middle of the road CCD digital video camera (a planetary "webcam") and caught the magnitude 12.7 reference star we needed (the mag 8.9 star was completely overexposed and thus useless as a reference) using 2 fps. If we had a more suitable camera (the planetary webcam has tiny pixels and creates an extremely over-sampled image) we would have been able to do much better.

We can remove a factor 12 or 2,7 magnitudes from the stars to get the "same" image with 24 FPS. We used a pretty large telescope (a 41 cm f/9) but even if we shrink the optics to a 10 cm f/9 (say a cheap achromatic refractor) nothing much happens as the Etendue (light gathering ability per pixel = aperture area * solid angle of pixel) remains constant.

I have attached an annotated still frame from the video taken 2012-03-03, 17:42:22.652 UT. Note the large size of even the dimmer stars due to the extreme oversampling.

Attachments

• 30UraniaVideo.jpg
    30UraniaVideo.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 494
Some absolutely phenomenal pics in this thread, brilliant work everyone. I'd love to give this a go when I can afford the kit. On top of Mount Sinai back in the winter of 08 was the clearest I've ever seen the night sky, such an incredible sight. What I'd have done to photograph that.

An alternative to the BIPH, a telescope eyepiece. Cheaper than the BIPH, but still expensive.
http://www.ceoptics.com/
Maybe he will know if it would work in space, nobody else seems to.

Crazy Aurora from Friday night...

Here's a time-lapse I took from 50 degrees N lat Fri night into Saturday am. Stitched together from about 450 frames. This series of Aural events went on all night and I have some still images from 430 am Saturday.https://vimeo.com/69394631

Last edited:
spark802 said:
Here's a time-lapse I took from 50 degrees N lat Fri night into Saturday am. Stitched together from about 450 frames. This series of Aural events went on all night and I have some still images from 430 am Saturday.

https://vimeo.com/69394631

Neat!

Thanks Drak...

Crazy lightning storm ...counts as Astrophotography?

Here's a lightning storm that rolled through my neck of the woods last weekend.

https://vimeo.com/69847939

Orion is back!

I imaged Messier 42 in the constellation Orion Saturday am. Orion is rising at about 130 am at my Lat of 50n.

http://flic.kr/p/fSJ5Nr

Last edited:
spark802 said:
I imaged Messier 42 in the constellation Orion Saturday am. Orion is rising at about 130 am at my Lat of 50n.

www.flickr.com/photos/49843779@N08/9763030405/

Not bad!

Thanks Drak !

What scope did you use? Looks like a Newtonian from the diffraction spikes.

chemisttree said:
What scope did you use? Looks like a Newtonian from the diffraction spikes.

Yes its a 6 inch Astro-Tech imaging newt

Drakkith said:
Not bad!

Next time around I will process out the core of M42. Its quite blown out still.

What program do you use for processing?

I use Ps2, or corels, Ps2 won't take raws so I convert them in Ps elements ...I know I should have Ps6...can't afford it right now. I am also trying out pixinsight but it's hard to understand.

spark802 said:
I use Ps2, or corels, Ps2 won't take raws so I convert them in Ps elements ...I know I should have Ps6...can't afford it right now. I am also trying out pixinsight but it's hard to understand.

I use AIP4WIN. Haven't ever used anything else.

Likes 1 person
http://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/astronomy-photographer-of-the-year/2013-winners/

Orion wide-field...

Hi all...I shot this wide-field Oct 14/2013. Tracked on my go-to mount, shot through a Canon 550d. 1 exp at 300 secs, ISO3200, f 3.5, lens at 18mm. I have Orion, Jupiter at upper left, and Procyon.

Only one exposure. I know I should be stacking a bunch. I like it as I got Barnards loop out of it, and the Rosette.

Attachments

• M2 WF_LIGHT_300s_3200iso_f3-5_+21c_00646stdev_20131014-05h54m46s395ms - Copy.jpg
    M2 WF_LIGHT_300s_3200iso_f3-5_+21c_00646stdev_20131014-05h54m46s395ms - Copy.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 439
spark802 said:
Hi all...I shot this wide-field Oct 14/2013. Tracked on my go-to mount, shot through a Canon 550d. 1 exp at 300 secs, ISO3200, f 3.5, lens at 18mm. I have Orion, Jupiter at upper left, and Procyon.

Only one exposure. I know I should be stacking a bunch. I like it as I got Barnards loop out of it, and the Rosette.

...and tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of stars!

94JZA80 said:
...and tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of stars!

Yes, lots of those too!

Drakkith said:
Nice!

Thanks

Messier 3

Here's a Messier object in the constellation of Canes Venatici...tracked and guided last evening ...although I shot a raw simultaneously I went with a quick jpg here. This is a globular cluster named Messier 3.

exp 300 secs, ISO 800,single frame.Finally got my autoguider up and running.

Attachments

• Messier 3.jpg
    Messier 3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 523
Thanks!