Steel Making process (always half explained)

In summary, the person is looking for information on how to make steel alloy, specifically how to add components like Si, P, Mg, and Mn to melted iron to create steel. They have searched through various sources but have not found a clear explanation. They express frustration with the education system and hope for someone to provide an answer. The conversation also mentions possible methods of adding elements to the melt and the importance of removing certain impurities.
wings_of_fire
Hi,

I want to try and make some steel alloy in an induction furnace. I have gone through youtube, Engineering Books, Internet and yet I haven`t found an answer that will completely explain how to make steel alloy.

In what form are the components like Si, P, Mg, Mn etc added to melted iron in order to give it the form of steel? How do they alloy if they have different melting temperatures ?

Never have I ever seen a picture of the compounds or a detailed explanation as to how steel alloys are mixed and prepared !.. Hopeless education system!

I can only hope that some one has mercy on my questions and helps me with an answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
wings_of_fire said:
Hi,

I want to try and make some steel alloy in an induction furnace. I have gone through youtube, Engineering Books, Internet and yet I haven`t found an answer that will completely explain how to make steel alloy.

In what form are the components like Si, P, Mg, Mn etc added to melted iron in order to give it the form of steel? How do they alloy if they have different melting temperatures ?

Never have I ever seen a picture of the compounds or a detailed explanation as to how steel alloys are mixed and prepared !.. Hopeless education system!

I can only hope that some one has mercy on my questions and helps me with an answer.
This might help - http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=kts&NM=2

More articles - http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=Articles&LN=EN
Look for: The Basics of Ferrous Metallurgy

Elements can be added as chemically or metallurgically pure bars, or as compounds, which are tossed into the melt. Alot depends on the melting technology.

Steel is a high bulk material.

P, Mg are considered impurities, so it is desirable to remove them.

1. What is the purpose of steel making?

The purpose of steel making is to produce steel, a strong and versatile metal that is used in a wide range of industries and applications. Steel is made by combining iron with other elements, such as carbon, to create a material with high strength, durability, and corrosion resistance.

2. What are the main steps involved in the steel making process?

The steel making process typically involves five main steps: ironmaking, steelmaking, casting, rolling, and finishing. Ironmaking involves extracting iron from iron ore using a blast furnace or direct reduction process. Steelmaking involves adding other elements to iron to create steel. Casting involves pouring the liquid steel into molds to create specific shapes. Rolling involves shaping the steel into desired forms, such as sheets or bars. Finishing involves treating the steel to improve its properties, such as heat treatments, surface coatings, or polishing.

3. How is the quality of steel maintained during the steel making process?

The quality of steel is maintained through careful control of the composition and temperature of the steel during each step of the process. This is achieved through precise measurements, control of the raw materials, and use of advanced technologies, such as electric arc furnaces and ladle metallurgy processes. Quality is also ensured through rigorous testing and inspection of the final product.

4. What are the main types of steel produced in the steel making process?

The main types of steel produced in the steel making process include carbon steel, alloy steel, and stainless steel. Carbon steel is the most commonly produced type and contains varying amounts of carbon, while alloy steel contains additional elements, such as chromium, nickel, or manganese, to enhance its properties. Stainless steel is a type of alloy steel with high levels of chromium and other elements, making it resistant to corrosion and oxidation.

5. How has the steel making process evolved over time?

The steel making process has evolved significantly since its early beginnings in ancient times. Modern steel making techniques, such as the Bessemer process and the open-hearth process, were developed in the 19th century and greatly increased the efficiency and production of steel. Today, advanced technologies, such as electric arc furnaces and continuous casting processes, are used to produce high-quality steel at a faster rate and with less energy consumption. The industry also continues to innovate and improve processes to reduce environmental impact and increase sustainability.