Zn + HCl and steel or iron plating

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of zinc and HCl to create a zinc chloride solution for electroplating steel. The solution is a purple/violet color, indicating it may not be pure zinc. The speaker initially used a zinc carbon battery case, but it may not be a reliable source. The resulting copper/brass color from brushing the solution onto steel is similar to the desired brass plating and may make the rest of the process unnecessary. The speaker is unsure of the cause and asks for input from others.
Roger Paine
I dissolved zinc in HCl until it stopped fizzing - all the Zn is gone so there may be some HCl left. I have a purple/violet liquid that I assume is zinc chloride. When I brush newly cut mild steel or iron with the solution, I get copper/brass coloured plating that does not rub off. I have no copper in the mix. My plan was to use the ZnCl to electroplate steel that has been prepared by electroplating copper which I was then intending to heat to get brass plate. The colour that I'm getting just by brushing the steel and iron with my solution is almost close enough to brass to make the rest of the process redundant. What's going on - what is the copper/brass colour? Anyone? cheers Roger

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If the solution is purple/violet it was not a pure Zn, as its solutions are colorless.

Borek said:
If the solution is purple/violet it was not a pure Zn, as its solutions are colorless.
My zinc came from an etching plate which is marketed as being 99.95% pure zinc. The acid is 35% that I brought from the hardware shop... come to think of it, I did initially put a zinc carbon battery case in there to start with... washed all the electrolyte off and wire brushed it... maybe that isn't a good source for zinc.

1. What happens when Zn + HCl is added to steel or iron plating?

When Zn + HCl is added to steel or iron plating, a chemical reaction takes place. The hydrogen ions in the HCl solution react with the zinc atoms, forming zinc ions and releasing hydrogen gas. The zinc ions then deposit onto the surface of the steel or iron, creating a layer of zinc plating.

2. What is the purpose of using Zn + HCl in steel or iron plating?

The purpose of using Zn + HCl in steel or iron plating is to create a protective layer of zinc on the surface of the metal. This layer acts as a barrier, preventing the underlying metal from coming into contact with oxygen and moisture, which can cause corrosion and rusting. Additionally, the zinc layer can also improve the appearance of the metal, giving it a shiny and smooth finish.

3. Can any type of steel or iron be plated with Zn + HCl?

Yes, most types of steel and iron can be plated with Zn + HCl. However, the success of the plating process may depend on the composition and surface condition of the metal. Some metals may require pre-treatment or a different plating process to achieve optimal results.

4. How is the thickness of the zinc plating determined in this process?

The thickness of the zinc plating is determined by the duration of the plating process. The longer the metal is left in the Zn + HCl solution, the thicker the layer of zinc plating will be. Additionally, the concentration of the HCl solution and the temperature of the plating process can also affect the thickness of the plating.

5. What are the advantages of using Zn + HCl in steel or iron plating?

The use of Zn + HCl in steel or iron plating has several advantages. First, it provides excellent corrosion protection for the underlying metal. It is also a relatively inexpensive and efficient process, making it a popular choice in industrial applications. Additionally, the zinc layer can act as a sacrificial anode, meaning it will corrode in place of the steel or iron, further protecting the metal from damage.