Conserving Quantity in System of Equations: Idea or Miss?

• Thread starter mathlete
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a system of equations involving the variables theta and u, as well as a quantity called C(theta, u). The goal is to show that C(theta, u) is a conserved quantity, but the code to do this with Maple is unknown. It is also mentioned that the quantity C(theta, u) is related to a Hamiltonian of the system.
mathlete
I have a system of equations here:
[tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt} = u-(\frac{1}{u})cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{dt} = -sin(\theta)[/tex]

It asks to show that [tex]C(\theta,u) = u^3-3ucos(\theta)[/tex]. That's fine, if it worked. From looking at it and taking the partial derivatives, it doesn't seem to be a conserved quantity. Any ideas, or am I missing something?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry to add it here as well, but I don't want to start a new thread. For this system above, I am supposed to sketch certain solutions in the xy plane (this system is for the motion of a glider, theta is the angle it starts at, u is its initial velocity). What's the code to do this, I can't find it anywhere?

We can't answer your first question because you haven't told us what "C(θ,u)
means! Without knowing that, we can't even say if it should be a conserved quantity.

HallsofIvy said:
We can't answer your first question because you haven't told us what "C(θ,u)
means! Without knowing that, we can't even say if it should be a conserved quantity.
I wasn't told what it means either :cry:

I assumed it was just a Hamiltonian of the system, so I tried taking the partials and it comes out close if you fudge a few numbers or variables here or there, but otherwise I get zilch.

Given
and
the quantity defined by
[tex]C(\theta,u) = u^3-3ucos(\theta)[/tex]
has the property that
[tex]\frac{dC}{dt}=0[/tex], i.e., it is unchanged as "t" varies.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&\stackrel{?}{=}
\frac{d}{dt}\left(u^3-3u \cos\theta \right)\\
&\stackrel{?}{=}
3u^2\dot u-3(\dot u \cos\theta - u\sin\theta\dot\theta)\\
&\stackrel{?}{=}
3u^2[-\sin\theta]-3([-\sin\theta]\cos\theta - u\sin\theta[u-\frac{1}{u}\cos\theta ])\\
&\stackrel{\surd}{=}0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I was rushing when I did this... Please check.

robphy said:
Given
and
the quantity defined by
[tex]C(\theta,u) = u^3-3ucos(\theta)[/tex]
has the property that
[tex]\frac{dC}{dt}=0[/tex], i.e., it is unchanged as "t" varies.

[tex]
\begin{align*}
&\stackrel{?}{=}
\frac{d}{dt}\left(u^3-3u \cos\theta \right)\\
&\stackrel{?}{=}
3u^2\dot u-3(\dot u \cos\theta - u\sin\theta\dot\theta)\\
&\stackrel{?}{=}
3u^2[-\sin\theta]-3([-\sin\theta]\cos\theta - u\sin\theta[u-\frac{1}{u}\cos\theta ])\\
&\stackrel{\surd}{=}0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I was rushing when I did this... Please check.
Ah, thanks very much! Much appreciated - I didn't think of it that way :smile:

Have an ideas on the maple one? I know that really isn't as much math oriented it's just that I don't really know how to use Maple :grumpy:

Last edited:

What is the concept of conserving quantity in a system of equations?

The concept of conserving quantity in a system of equations is the idea that the total amount of a certain quantity remains constant in a given system, even if there are changes or transformations within the system.

How does the idea of conserving quantity apply to systems of equations?

In systems of equations, conserving quantity means that the total amount of a specific quantity (such as mass, energy, or money) remains unchanged, even if there are changes to the individual components of the system.

Why is it important to consider conserving quantity in systems of equations?

Considering conserving quantity in systems of equations is important because it allows us to accurately model and predict real-world scenarios. In many cases, the total amount of a certain quantity must remain constant, and without accounting for this, our equations and solutions would not be accurate.

What are some real-life examples of conserving quantity in systems of equations?

One example of conserving quantity in a system of equations is the law of conservation of energy, which states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. Another example is the law of conservation of mass, which states that the total mass in a chemical reaction remains unchanged.

Is conserving quantity always applicable in systems of equations?

No, conserving quantity is not always applicable in systems of equations. There are some scenarios, such as in open systems or systems with external influences, where the total amount of a certain quantity may not remain constant. In these cases, we must modify our equations to account for these changes.