Reduction of area with the elastic deformation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the elastic deformation and reduction of area in the tensile test practical for ductile materials. It is mentioned that up to the elastic limit, the deformation is recoverable and there are no line defects. The question is posed whether there can be a reduction of area with elastic deformation, to which the response is yes and to look up "Poisson's ratio". Further clarification is asked for, with options of an explanation in terms of metallurgy, basic physics, or plastic deformation using line defects.
phydis
In the tensile test practical for ductile materials, up to the elastic limit, the deformation is recoverable (no line defects).

My question is can there be a reduction of area with the elastic deformation?

If yes, how it happens?

I'm a beginner. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
phydis said:
In the tensile test practical for ductile materials, up to the elastic limit, the deformation is recoverable (no line defects).

Yes.

My question is can there be a reduction of area with the elastic deformation?
Yes. Look up "Poisson's ratio".

If yes, how it happens?
What sort of answer do you want? Poisson's ratio described what happens, for isotropic materials. For anisotropic materials the concept is similar but there can be up to 21 different parameters rather than just 2 (Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio).

Or do you you want an answer in terms of metallurgy, or basic physics?

Likes 1 person
I can describe what happens in plastic deformation using line defects. And I need a that level explanation for elastic deformation and reduction of area.

Related to Reduction of area with the elastic deformation?

What is reduction of area?

Reduction of area is a measure of the decrease in cross-sectional area of a material after it has been subjected to elastic deformation. It is typically expressed as a percentage value.

How is reduction of area calculated?

Reduction of area is calculated by dividing the difference between the original cross-sectional area and the minimum cross-sectional area after deformation by the original cross-sectional area, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage value.

What causes reduction of area?

Reduction of area is caused by the movement of dislocations within a material during elastic deformation. This movement causes the material to thin out and decrease in cross-sectional area.

Why is reduction of area important?

Reduction of area is an important indicator of a material's ductility and ability to withstand stress without permanent deformation. A higher reduction of area indicates a more ductile material, while a lower reduction of area indicates a more brittle material.

Can reduction of area be reversed?

In most cases, reduction of area cannot be reversed. Once a material has undergone elastic deformation and experienced a decrease in cross-sectional area, it will not return to its original shape and size. However, in some cases, heat treatment or other processes may be able to restore some of the lost area.