Equivalent Norms: Proving No M > 0 for f

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a counterexample to the statement ||f'||_{\infty} \leq M \cdot ||f||_{\infty}, with the help of a sequence of polynomials {f_n} in E such that \|f_n\|_\infty = 1 for all n and \|f_n'\|_\infty \to \infty. It is suggested to think about polynomials and look for a counterexample among simple functions. The conversation also mentions the importance of finding a counterexample in order to show that a general statement is not true.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/2907/54050356xf9.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck at exercise (e).

What I have to proof is that there is no M>0 such that:

[tex] ||f'||_{\infty} \leq M \cdot ||f||_{\infty} [/tex]

But I'm having a hard time showing that for there is little information on the sup of f. One way of doing this is to show that is 'M' is not constant (at least that's what I think) but because I only know that f is in C1 and f(0)=0 I don't see a way of proving this.

Can anyone give me a hint?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about polynomials.

To be more specific, try to find a sequence {f_n} of polynomials in E such that [itex]\|f_n\|_\infty = 1[/itex] for all n, while [itex]\|f_n'\|_\infty \to \infty[/itex].

In order to show that a general statement is NOT true you only need a counterexample. As morphism suggested look for one among simple function, like polynomials.

What are equivalent norms?

Equivalent norms are two different ways to measure the size or magnitude of a vector or function. They will give the same result for every vector or function, but they may use different formulas or definitions to calculate the size.

How do you prove that there is no M > 0 for function f?

To prove that there is no M > 0 for function f, you can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that there is an M > 0 for function f, and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This will prove that there is no M > 0 for function f.

Why is it important to prove that there is no M > 0 for function f?

Proving that there is no M > 0 for function f is important because it shows that the function is bounded, which means that it cannot grow larger than a certain value. This is a useful property in many mathematical and scientific applications.

Can equivalent norms produce different results?

Yes, equivalent norms can produce different results, even though they are measuring the same vector or function. This is because they may use different formulas or definitions to calculate the size, but they will always give the same result for every vector or function.

What are some examples of equivalent norms?

Some examples of equivalent norms include Euclidean norm, Manhattan norm, and maximum norm. These norms all measure the size of a vector or function in different ways, but they are equivalent in that they will give the same result for every vector or function.