Is Schwarzschild spacetime parallelizable?

In summary: V##, which is nonzero and well-defined everywhere on each 2-sphere. So the spacetime is practically parallelizable.In summary, there are frame fields, consisting of one timelike and three spacelike unit vectors, that are defined everywhere in Schwarzschild spacetime. These include the frame field defined using Kruskal coordinates, which has one timelike and three spacelike coordinates at every point. Another example is the "Painleve basis," defined by Painleve observers, which has one timelike and three spacelike vectors at each event. While these frame fields are not globally defined on the maximally extended Schwarzschild spacetime
TrickyDicky
I was wondering since it is usually foliated into 2-spheres and these are not themselves parallelizable(only the n-spheres S1, S3 and S7 are).

I know the timelike Killing vector field is not global, but is the a global basis of vector fields in Schwarzschild spacetime? I mean a basis in a Lorentzian manifold needs to include a timelike vector field and three spacelike vector fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
TrickyDicky said:
I know the timelike Killing vector field is not global

More precisely, the KVF usually denoted ##\partial / \partial t## is globally defined, but it is only timelike outside the horizon (on the horizon it is null, inside the horizon it is spacelike). So it can't serve to define a timelike basis vector everywhere.

TrickyDicky said:
is the a global basis of vector fields in Schwarzschild spacetime? I mean a basis in a Lorentzian manifold needs to include a timelike vector field and three spacelike vector fields?

Yes, there are frame fields (meaning, sets of one timelike and three spacelike unit vectors) that are defined everywhere in Schwarzschild spacetime. One obvious one is the frame field defined using Kruskal coordinates, since that chart has one timelike and three spacelike coordinates everywhere. Another is the "Painleve basis", i.e., the frame field defined by Painleve observers (i.e., the timelike basis vector is the 4-velocity of the Painleve observer at each event; the 3 spacelike vectors are the radial and tangential unit vectors orthogonal to the 4-velocity). Technically, the latter is not defined "globally" on the maximally extended Schwarzschild spacetime; it's only defined in the exterior and future interior regions (i.e., inside the black hole). But for practical purposes that's good enough.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, there are frame fields (meaning, sets of one timelike and three spacelike unit vectors) that are defined everywhere in Schwarzschild spacetime. One obvious one is the frame field defined using Kruskal coordinates, since that chart has one timelike and three spacelike coordinates everywhere.

Are you sure you can define frame fields from the Kruskal coordinate basis?
Can the V coordinate be considered of timelike character globally, including the event horizon null hypersurface and the region inside?

Last edited:
TrickyDicky said:
Are you sure you can define frame fields from the Kruskal coordinate basis?
Can the V coordinate be considered of timelike character globally, including the event horizon null hypersurface and the region inside?

Yes, certainly. That's obvious from the line element:

$$
ds^2 = \frac{32 M^3}{r} e^{- r / 2M} \left( - dV^2 + dU^2 \right) + r^2 \left( d \theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta d \phi^2 \right)
$$

A curve where only ##dV## is nonzero is obviously timelike. Equivalently, the vector field ##\partial / \partial V## is obviously timelike everywhere.

PeterDonis said:
Yes, certainly. That's obvious from the line element:

$$
ds^2 = \frac{32 M^3}{r} e^{- r / 2M} \left( - dV^2 + dU^2 \right) + r^2 \left( d \theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta d \phi^2 \right)
$$

A curve where only ##dV## is nonzero is obviously timelike. Equivalently, the vector field ##\partial / \partial V## is obviously timelike everywhere.

Yes, and also all thru the event horizon hypersurface which is null, U=V so there it is not clear for me how a timelike and a spacelike vector fields can exist there.
As I said in my first post each point in the Kruskal chart is a 2-sphere, which can't be covered just with one ø, θ chart, so in four dimensions to each point of the Kruskal chart it corresponds a point where you can't have global basis with U,V,ø,θ. That's why I tend to think the spacetime is not parallelizable.

Last edited:
TrickyDicky said:
all thru the event horizon hypersurface which is null, U=V so there it is not clear for me how a timelike and a spacelike vector fields can exist there.

Huh? The horizon is just the line ##U = V##. There is no requirement that all vector fields at that line point along the line. Along that line, ##\partial / \partial V## is timelike, and ##\partial / \partial U## is spacelike, just like everywhere else. Again, that's obvious from looking at the line element; along the horizon ##r = 2M##, but all that does is fix the constant in front of ##\left( - dV^2 + dU^2 \right)##; it doesn't change the timelike or spacelike character of ##V## or ##U##. (The tangent vector field to the horizon is ##\partial / \partial V + \partial / \partial U##, which is indeed null; but that's not the same vector field as either ##\partial / \partial V## or ##\partial / \partial U##.)

TrickyDicky said:
As I said in my first post each point in the Kruskal chart is a 2-sphere, which can't be covered just with one ø, θ chart, so in four dimensions to each point of the Kruskal chart it corresponds a point where you can't have global basis with U,V,ø,θ. That's why I tend to think the spacetime is not parallelizable.

Yes, you're right, if you want to be precise, as the coordinates are usually defined, ##\partial / \partial \phi## is not defined on the "axis" points of each 2-sphere; this reflects the fact that, as you say, you cannot define an everywhere non-vanishing vector field on ##S^2##.

However, this doesn't prevent you from defining a timelike vector field that covers the entirety of each 2-sphere, because the 2-spheres are all spacelike, so a timelike vector field can be nonzero everywhere on each 2-sphere as long as it is orthogonal to the 2-sphere. The vector field ##\partial / \partial V## in Kruskal coordinates meets that requirement. (So does ##\partial / \partial U##, which is therefore spacelike and nonvanishing everywhere on each 2-sphere. In other words, what you can't define is a spacelike vector field that is everywhere nonvanishing and *tangent* to a 2-sphere.)

So you're technically correct that the Kruskal chart can't define a full 4-D frame field on Schwarzschild spacetime; it can only define a 2-D frame field in the ##U - V## plane. The 4-D frame field it defines will have one undefined spacelike vector at two points on each 2-sphere. (This is true for all the standard charts on Schwarzschild spacetime, and nobody seems to be bothered by it.) But the timelike vector of the frame field will be well-defined everywhere.

Thanks, Peter, you are totally right.
I just wanted to confirm this on the Schwarzschild spacetime, and do it for the right reasons.

I was trying to relate this with the assertion frequently made that an observer near the event horizon doesn't have any local physical observation to discern what side of the event horizon he is at.

1. What is Schwarzschild spacetime?

Schwarzschild spacetime is a mathematical model used in general relativity to describe the space surrounding a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It was first discovered by German physicist Karl Schwarzschild in 1916.

2. What does it mean for spacetime to be parallelizable?

Parallelizable means that at every point in spacetime, there exists a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used as a basis for the tangent space. In simpler terms, it means that spacetime can be smoothly and consistently mapped onto a flat space.

3. Why is the parallelizability of Schwarzschild spacetime important?

The parallelizability of Schwarzschild spacetime is important because it allows us to apply the mathematical tools of differential geometry to this model, making it easier to study and understand. It also has implications for the laws of physics and the behavior of objects in this spacetime.

4. How is the parallelizability of Schwarzschild spacetime determined?

The parallelizability of Schwarzschild spacetime can be mathematically determined by examining its curvature tensor and determining if it is possible to construct a set of basis vectors that satisfy certain conditions. This process is known as the Cartan-Kähler theorem.

5. Are there any other spacetimes that are not parallelizable?

Yes, there are other spacetimes that are not parallelizable, such as the Kerr and Reissner-Nordström spacetimes. These spacetimes have more complex structures and are not spherically symmetric, making it more difficult to find a set of basis vectors that can be consistently mapped onto a flat space.