Theoretically where the g factor came from? g=9.8

• Thread starter hagopbul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    G factor
In summary, the g factor, or gravitational acceleration, comes from experiments and is not a universal constant. It is dependent on the amount of mass and distance from that mass. Using Newton's laws and the universal gravitational constant, it can be derived as g = GM/r^2, but this is usually done the other way around by measuring g and then using it to calculate the mass and distance of the Earth. The numerical value of g varies depending on the units used and the location on Earth.
hagopbul
to all

i need to know the theoretically where the g factor came from?
g=9.8

Physics news on Phys.org

hagopbul said:
to all

g=9.8

Hello hagopbul.What ideas or knowledge do you already have about g?

i think it is based on test only ... i tried to find some theoretical concept but i couldn't find any ...

Well, as g is the acceleration due to gravity, the two theories would be acceleration and gravity, both from Newton's laws. Can you think of a way to derive g from Newton's laws...?

The weight of an object = the gravitatonal force that the Earth exerts on the object = G m_earth m_object / r^2, where r is the dictance to the center of the earth, and G is the universal gravitational constant. Factor it like this: (G m_earth / r^2) m_object, and then everything in parentheses is "g". Therefore the weight of any object of mass m will be mg.

trying trough Newton but it is not working

the numbers are not matching

Show your calculation and the numbers you used.

Strictly speaking, it didn't come "theoretically" from anything- it came from experimentation. "9.98" is the measured acceleration, in meters per second squared, of an object at the Earth's surface. (Actually, 9.981 is a more accurate value- but the value varies from place to place on the earth.)

Given "[itex]F= GmM/r^2= mg[/itex], so that [itex]g= GM/r^2[/itex], we could then put r equal to the radius of the Earth and M equal to the mass of the earth, we could calculate g, but, in fact, it is done the other way around.

hagopbul said:
g=9.8

First...g is too easily mixed up with grams. I strongly prefer to use g or g0.
Second: g isn't 9.8. It's 9.8 m/s^2. The numerical value is completely arbitrary, and depends on the units you measure it in. 9.8 m/s^2, 32 ft/s^2, 71.3 gigafurlongs/fortnight^2...and it isn't any sort of universal constant. Earth's surface gravity is determined by how much matter has been piled into it and how close you are to said matter...Earth is a little lumpy and out of round, so that actually varies slightly depending on where you are. 9.8 m/s^2 is a common approximate value, and as stated, generally determined by measurement (it's much easier to measure gravitational acceleration than to directly measure Earth's mass and your distance from each particle of it).

1. Where did the concept of "g" come from?

The concept of "g" originated from Sir Isaac Newton's theory of gravity, which states that every object in the universe is attracted to every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the value of "g" determined?

The value of "g" is determined by measuring the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface. This is typically done using a pendulum or free-falling object, and the average of multiple measurements is usually taken to account for slight variations.

3. Is "g" constant everywhere on Earth?

No, the value of "g" can vary slightly depending on location on Earth. This is due to factors such as latitude, altitude, and geological composition of the area. However, these variations are typically very small and do not significantly impact the value of "g".

4. Does "g" have the same value on other planets?

No, the value of "g" can vary greatly on other planets and celestial bodies due to differences in mass, size, and composition. For example, the value of "g" on Mars is approximately 3.71 m/s², while on the Moon it is only 1.62 m/s².

5. How is "g" related to weight and mass?

"g" is directly related to weight and mass through the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The force of gravity (weight) acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (g).