Two objects are dropped from a bridge

• Thread starter alksjadf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, two objects are dropped from a bridge and undergo the same acceleration due to gravity. The velocity of the first object will eventually catch up to the velocity of the second, and the relative positions of the objects will change. For the second question, assuming car B is traveling at 0 m/s relative to car A, the acceleration is 1.8 m/s^2 and the actual answer is 22.54 seconds. The acceleration for the second question is 1.8 m/s^2. The second object will never go faster than the first one.
alksjadf

Homework Statement

two objects are dropped from a bridge, an interval of 1sec apart during the time that both objects continue to fall their separation______

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was stays the same but someone said it wasn't so my next guess would be closer.

And second question:
car A is traveling at 18m/s and car B at 25m/s Car A is 300m behind car B when the driver of Car A accelerates his car with an acceleration of 1.80 to the power of 2 how long does it take car A to overtake car B

Attempt of solving:
I think the actual answer is 22.54 that's what someone said but i really don't know. If 22.54 please show the work and if not help me out.

Thanks
alksjadf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Both objects undergo the same acceleration due to gravity -9.8 m/s^2.
When, if ever, does the velocity of the first object catch up to the velocity of the second? Thus, what can you say about the relative positions of the objects?

For the second question, assume car B is traveling at 0 m/s relative to car A. How fast is car A going?
Now, use general kinematics equations.
Is the acceleration 1.8 m/s^2 or 1.8^2 = 3.24 m/s^2?

sorry i typed it wrong it's 1.8m/s^2 and for number one would it be decreases.

Also, my cousin got 36.83

Last edited:
Think about that answer. Is the second object ever going faster than the first one?

if you have AIM please IM me at madmonkey924 because I'm so lost on both

1. What factors affect the rate of acceleration for two objects dropped from a bridge?

The rate of acceleration for two objects dropped from a bridge is primarily affected by the force of gravity and the objects' mass. Other factors that may affect the acceleration include air resistance, shape of the objects, and the height of the bridge.

2. Will two objects with different masses hit the ground at the same time when dropped from a bridge?

Yes, both objects will hit the ground at the same time regardless of their mass. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects, regardless of their masses. However, the force of impact may differ depending on the mass of the objects.

3. What is the difference between speed and acceleration for two objects dropped from a bridge?

Speed refers to how fast an object is moving, while acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's speed changes. When two objects are dropped from a bridge, their speed will increase due to the force of gravity, resulting in an acceleration towards the ground.

4. Can air resistance affect the motion of two objects dropped from a bridge?

Yes, air resistance can have an impact on the motion of two objects dropped from a bridge. The presence of air resistance can slow down the acceleration of the objects, causing them to reach the ground at different times. This is why objects with a larger surface area, such as a feather, will take longer to hit the ground compared to an object with a smaller surface area, such as a rock.

5. What happens if one object is dropped from a bridge and the other is thrown horizontally?

If one object is dropped from a bridge and the other is thrown horizontally, they will both fall towards the ground due to gravity. However, the horizontally thrown object will also have a horizontal velocity, causing it to travel further away from the bridge before hitting the ground. The vertically dropped object will fall straight down and hit the ground directly below the bridge.