Kinematics question, easier way to do this?

• Thread starter Nathan phisi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: If a car goes 10 m/s and the other goes at 11 m/s and they start in the same position it will take 10 seconds for the faster car to get 10 m ahead of the first one.
Nathan phisi

Homework Statement

Two cars are traveling in a straight line, in the same direction, along a multi-lane highway in adjacent lanes. Car A starts 100 m behind Car B and both cars are initially traveling with a velocity of 20 m s−1 . Car B maintains a constant velocity but Car A begins to accelerate at 2.5 m s−2 . How long will it take for Car A to draw level with Car B (in s)?
(A) 2.7 (B) 4.3 (C) 6.1 (D) 8.9 (E) 10

Homework Equations

vavg=d/t
a=change in v/t
vf=vi+at
Vf^2=vi^2 + 2*a*d
d=vi t + 0.5at^2
d=(vf+vi)/2 * t

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke up the question into time intervals. I started with seeing how long it took car B to reach the initial 100m, then used that time to see how far car A gone in that time interval. I continued to break up the question like this and it became very tedious as I got closer to the 8.9s correct answer, and was wondering if there was a simpler way to approach this question? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You should focus on the difference in speed between the two cars, that's how car A is going to close the gap

Likes Nathan phisi
Write two expressions, one for each car, giving the position at any time t. Subtract to get the distance between cars at any time t. Find at what specific time this distance becomes zero.

Likes Nathan phisi
Nathan phisi said:

Homework Statement

Two cars are traveling in a straight line, in the same direction, along a multi-lane highway in adjacent lanes. Car A starts 100 m behind Car B and both cars are initially traveling with a velocity of 20 m s−1 . Car B maintains a constant velocity but Car A begins to accelerate at 2.5 m s−2 . How long will it take for Car A to draw level with Car B (in s)?
(A) 2.7 (B) 4.3 (C) 6.1 (D) 8.9 (E) 10

Homework Equations

vavg=d/t
a=change in v/t
vf=vi+at
Vf^2=vi^2 + 2*a*d
d=vi t + 0.5at^2
d=(vf+vi)/2 * t

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke up the question into time intervals. I started with seeing how long it took car B to reach the initial 100m, then used that time to see how far car A gone in that time interval. I continued to break up the question like this and it became very tedious as I got closer to the 8.9s correct answer, and was wondering if there was a simpler way to approach this question? Thanks
What would happen if both cars started with a velocity of ##0m/s##?

Likes Nathan phisi
PeroK said:
What would happen if both cars started with a velocity of ##0m/s##?
Wow, thank you, that worked!
Just wondering how you went about solving it that way? Like, where does the cars starting at 0m/s come from? Is it because they started at the same velocity?

Nathan phisi said:
Wow, thank you, that worked!
Just wondering how you went about solving it that way? Like, where does the cars starting at 0m/s come from? Is it because they started at the same velocity?
Yes, the constant velocity with which they start makes mo difference to the rate at which the second car catches the first.

More formally, you can say you are using a reference frame moving along with the initial velocity.

A useful trick!

Likes Nathan phisi
Consider it this way, as long as the cars have the same velocity, every change in the position of one of them will be matched by the other car, so you should just consider the difference in their speeds.

If a car goes 10 m/s and the other goes at 11 m/s and they start in the same position it will take 10 seconds for the faster car to get 10 m ahead of the first one

What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the three basic types of kinematics equations?

The three basic types of kinematics equations are the equations for position, velocity, and acceleration, which are commonly known as the SUVAT equations.

What is the easier way to solve kinematics problems?

The easier way to solve kinematics problems is by using a systematic approach, such as identifying the known and unknown variables, choosing the appropriate kinematics equation, and solving for the unknown variable.

Can kinematics equations be used for both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, kinematics equations can be used for both linear and rotational motion as long as the motion is constant and the acceleration is constant or can be assumed to be constant.

Is it important to draw a diagram when solving kinematics problems?

Yes, it is important to draw a diagram when solving kinematics problems as it helps visualize the motion and identify the variables needed to solve the problem.