Integrate by parts because of two functions

In summary, the delta distribution can be used in integrals, but it is not always well-behaved. When evaluating definite integrals, it is important to take into account the Heaviside function.
Cyrus
I found this interesting little problem when thinking about convolution:

[tex] \int x( \tau) \delta(t-\tau) d\tau [/tex]

Normally to solve something like this you would have to integrate by parts because of two functions in [tex]\tau[/tex]

Using the fact that:

[tex] \int u *dv = u*v - \int v*du [/tex]

Where

[tex] u=x(\tau)[/tex]

[tex] dv= \delta(t-\tau) d\tau[/tex]

Then:

[tex] du=x'(\tau) d\tau[/tex]

[tex] v= 1 [/tex]

If you plug this back in you get:

[tex]x(\tau) - x(\tau) = 0[/tex]

Total nonsense!

Physics news on Phys.org

Cyrus said:
[tex]dv= \delta(t-\tau) d\tau[/tex]

Then:

[tex] v= 1 [/tex]

Total nonsense!

When you do your math wrong you get total nonsense. The integral of the delta distribution is the Heaviside function, not 1.

Using definite integrals (which is the only thing that makes sense when using the delta distribution), the goal is to evaluate the definite integral

[tex]\int_a^b x(\tau)\delta(t-\tau)\,d\tau[/tex]

where [itex]a<b[/itex] and x(t) is well-behaved over (a,b). There are three cases to investigate:
  1. [itex]t<a[/itex], which should yield zero,
  2. [itex]t>b[/itex], which should also yield zero, and
  3. [itex]t\in(a,b)[/itex], which should yield [itex]x(t)[/itex].

Integrating by parts,

[tex]\int_a^b x(\tau)\delta(t-\tau)\,d\tau =
-\,x(\tau)H(t-\tau)\Bigl|_{\tau=a}^b + \int_a^b x^{\prime}(\tau)H(t-\tau)\,d\tau[/tex]

In case (1), the first two terms vanish because [itex]H(t-a)=H(t-b)=0[/itex] since both [itex]t-a[/itex] and [itex]t-b[/itex] are negative. Similarly, the integral also vanishes, so the result is zero.

In case (2), the Heaviside function [itex]H(t-\tau)[/itex] is identically one for all [itex]\tau\in(a,b)[/itex]. The results of integrating by parts reduces to
[tex]x(a)-x(b)+ \int_a^b x^{\prime}(\tau)\,d\tau = x(a)-x(b)+x(b)-x(a) = 0[/tex]

In case (3), the Heaviside function changes from 1 to 0 at [itex]\tau=t[/itex]. The results of integrating by parts reduces to
[tex]x(a)+ \int_a^t x^{\prime}(\tau)\,d\tau = x(a)+x(t)-x(a) = x(t)[/tex]

Which is exactly what was expected in all three cases.

I got to run right now, but for now, THANKS DH! :smile:

Hi DH, I think you might have an error in your signs.

How come the its = - ... +

I think it should be + ... -

No?

No.

The goal is to integrate [itex]\int x(\tau) \delta(t-\tau)\,d\tau[/itex] by parts. Setting [itex]u=x(\tau)[/itex] and [itex]dv=\delta(t-\tau)d\tau[/itex], then [itex]du=x'(\tau)d\tau[/itex] and [itex]v=-\,H(t-\tau)[/itex]. The sign change results from the [itex]t-\tau[/itex] argument to the delta distribution.

I see. I want the more general case, where the upper and lower limits are +/- infinity. So then, the last case holds just as you stated but a is -inft instead of a finite value.

When it comes to the last integral, it would have to be split up as:

[tex]\int^\infty_{t+} + \int^t_{-\infty} [/tex]

Where the second integral is *just after* t, right?

Otherwise, if it were split at the value of time t, you would get 2x(t) when you did the integral piecewise.

Last edited:

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It is based on the product rule for derivatives and allows us to rewrite an integral in a different form to make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts should be used when the integrand (the function inside the integral) is a product of two functions, and one of the functions becomes simpler when differentiated while the other becomes simpler when integrated.

3. How do I choose which function to differentiate and which to integrate?

The common acronym used to determine which function to differentiate and which to integrate is "LIATE". This stands for: Logarithmic, Inverse trigonometric, Algebraic, Trigonometric, and Exponential. The functions that come earlier in this list are usually chosen as the function to integrate, while the later ones are chosen as the function to differentiate.

4. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u is the function to be differentiated and v is the function to be integrated. This formula can also be written as ∫f(x)g'(x)dx = f(x)g(x) - ∫f'(x)g(x)dx.

5. Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals. In this case, the formula becomes ∫a to b u dv = [uv]a to b - ∫a to b v du. The limits of integration are applied to both the first and second terms in the formula.