Combinatorics: Even 3-Digit Numbers from 1-7 with Restrictions

In summary, for part a) of the question, there are 90 even 3 digit numbers that can be made from the given 7 digits, where each number can only be used once. For part b), there are 147 even 3 digit numbers that can be made from the given 7 digits, where each number can be reused.
Dell
given the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, how many even 3 digit numbers can be made from these 7 digits
a) if each number can only be used once
b) if each number can be rused

for b) what i did was:
for the first digit i have 7 options, for the second still 7, since i can reuse, and for the 3rd only 3 since the last digit needs to be even

7*7*3=147

but for a) i am stuck, for the first i have 7 options, for the second i have 6 since i have used one already, but how many do i have for the final digit, i would think 3, but what if the 1st 2 were also even, then i only have 1 even left? the correct answer is 90 but i cannnot get it

Physics news on Phys.org
try counting from the even digit first... ie pick the smallest digit first then so on...

nice, thanks

3*5*6

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing the possible arrangements and combinations of objects or events.

2. What are the basic principles of combinatorics?

The basic principles of combinatorics include the fundamental counting principle, permutations, combinations, and the inclusion-exclusion principle.

3. What are the applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has many practical applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and genetics. It is used to solve problems related to probability, optimization, and data analysis.

4. What are some common types of combinatorics questions?

Some common types of combinatorics questions include those involving counting, arrangements, probability, and graph theory.

5. How can I improve my skills in combinatorics?

To improve your skills in combinatorics, practice solving various types of problems, understand the underlying principles and concepts, and seek guidance from experts or resources such as textbooks and online tutorials.