Supposed Energy ProblemsHelp

• Thread starter Spitting_Camel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the first question is asking for the maximum height reached by a projectile launched at a speed of 40 m/s and an angle of 60 degrees using conservation of energy. The equation used is dK + dU = 0, where dK represents change in kinetic energy and dU represents change in potential energy. The second question involves a bead of mass 5.00kg sliding on a frictionless track and determining its speed at points B and C, as well as the net work done by gravity in moving the bead from point A to C. To solve this, the initial and final velocities and heights must be determined using the given information. The angle of launch and initial height are important factors in finding the vertical velocity
Spitting_Camel
Supposed Energy Problems..Help!

I have 2 questions...

A projectile is launched with a speed of 40 m/s at at angle of 60 degrees about the horizontal. Find the maximum height reached by the projectile during its flight by using conservation of energy.

I guess I don't get how to get the answer from a bunch of work, PE and KE equations. If you could give me a hint on this one on where to start, what equations to use I can probably figure it out.
---------------------------------------------------------
Second question...

A bead of mass m=5.00kg is released from point A and slides on the frictionless track shown in figure P5.30. Determine (a) the bead's speed at points B and C and (b) the net work done by the force of gravity in moving the bead from A to C.

I am also completely lost on this question too. I don't understand how you can get speed (v) from any of the work, PE, KE equations. Please give me a hint! I attached a crude picture of the graphic for this one...

Thank you so much if you respond.

Attachments

• Crudephysprob.JPG
    Crudephysprob.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
first question

dK + dU = 0

KE ( final) - KE ( initial) + PE ( final) - PE (initial) = 0

what is the velocity of the ball when it reaches th highest point? Who cares about angles, talk about vertical speed, if the ball were throw staright up, woul it make a difference? I know you've been shown this in class

What is the initial velocity? Find the VERTICAL velocity of the ball using the angle that you are given

What is the initial height? Was it shot from the ground or from a height? in that case waht is vakue of initial height?

What is final height? given all these clues can you figure it out?

First, let's address the projectile problem. To find the maximum height, we need to use the conservation of energy principle, which states that the total energy of a system remains constant. In this case, the initial energy (at the launch point) will equal the final energy (at the maximum height). We can use the equations for potential energy (PE) and kinetic energy (KE) to solve for the maximum height. Here's a hint: at the maximum height, the projectile's velocity will be zero, so the kinetic energy will also be zero. This means that all of the initial energy will be in the form of potential energy at the maximum height. Can you take it from there?

For the second question, we can use the same principle of conservation of energy. At point A, the bead has potential energy due to its height above the ground. As it travels down the track, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. At point C, all of the potential energy has been converted into kinetic energy, so we can use the equation for kinetic energy to find the speed at point C. To find the speed at point B, we can use the conservation of energy principle again, this time using the kinetic energy at point B as the initial energy and solving for the final kinetic energy at point C. As for the net work done by gravity, we can use the equation W = Fd, where F is the force of gravity and d is the distance traveled. Can you try using these hints to solve the problem? Let me know if you need further clarification. Good luck!

What is the definition of energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change in a system. It can come in various forms such as thermal, kinetic, potential, and electrical energy.

What are some common sources of energy?

Some common sources of energy include fossil fuels like coal, oil, and natural gas, renewable sources like solar, wind, and hydro power, and nuclear energy.

What are some challenges facing our current energy systems?

One major challenge is the depletion of non-renewable energy sources and the environmental impact of extracting and using them. Another challenge is transitioning to more sustainable and renewable sources of energy while still meeting global energy demands.

What is the role of government in addressing energy problems?

The government plays a crucial role in developing and implementing policies and regulations to promote sustainable energy practices and reduce dependence on non-renewable sources. They also provide funding for research and development of new technologies and incentivize individuals and businesses to adopt more sustainable energy practices.

How can individuals make a positive impact on energy problems?

Individuals can make a positive impact by adopting energy-efficient habits, such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and supporting renewable energy sources. They can also educate themselves and others about energy issues and advocate for sustainable energy policies.