Solving Partial Derivative Equation: Finding Error & Fixing It

In summary, a partial derivative equation is used to find the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. To solve such an equation, the derivative of the function is taken with respect to the variable of interest and then set equal to a given value. The error in a partial derivative equation is the difference between the actual and calculated values, which can be caused by various factors. To find and fix errors, the source of the error must be identified and adjustments made accordingly.
dimensionless
I'm trying to figure out this equation.

[tex]
{\Psi} = Ae^{-a(bx-ct)^2}
[/tex]

I've expanded this to

[tex]
{\Psi} = Ae^{-ab^2x^2-abxct-ac^2t^2}
[/tex]

When I try to find the derivative I get this

[tex]
\left(\newcommand {\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }

\pd{\Psi}{t}{}\right)_x = (-2ac^2t-abxc)Ae^{-ab^2x^2-abxct-ac^2t^2}
[/tex]

I should get this instead

[tex]
\left(\newcommand {\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }

\pd{\Psi}{t}{}\right)_x = (-2abcx-2ac^2t)Ae^{-ab^2x^2-abxct-ac^2t^2}
[/tex]

Can anyone tell me where my error is and how I can fix it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try again in expanding
[tex](bx-ct)^2[/tex]

1. What is a partial derivative equation?

A partial derivative equation is an equation that involves finding the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to model complex systems.

2. How do you solve a partial derivative equation?

To solve a partial derivative equation, you need to take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable you are interested in. This will give you the rate of change of the function with respect to that variable. You can then set the derivative equal to a given value and solve for the variable.

3. What is the error in a partial derivative equation?

The error in a partial derivative equation is the difference between the actual value of the function and the calculated value. It can be caused by rounding errors, incorrect input values, or mistakes in the calculation process.

4. How do you find the error in a partial derivative equation?

To find the error in a partial derivative equation, you can compare the calculated value to the actual value of the function. If they are different, the difference between the two is the error. You can also use numerical methods such as Taylor series or finite difference methods to estimate the error.

5. How do you fix errors in a partial derivative equation?

To fix errors in a partial derivative equation, you first need to identify the source of the error. This could be a mistake in the calculation process, incorrect input values, or a flaw in the model itself. Once the source of the error is identified, you can make the necessary adjustments to the equation or calculation to reduce or eliminate the error.