Differential Integration Problem

In summary: In general, it's wrong because it's suggesting making another mistake to compensate for your other mistake. Generally, that's not a good idea.
CGandC
Homework Statement
I want to find the function ## E(V,T) ##
Relevant Equations
It is known that

## \frac{\partial E}{\partial T} = \frac{B N^2}{ V} ##

## \frac{\partial E}{\partial V} = \frac{-B T N^2}{ V^2} ##

## E(T=0) = 0 ##

Where B, N are constants.
Attempt at solution:

Writing the chain rule for ## E(V,T) ##:

## dE = \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}dT + \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}dV ##

Then, integrating the differential:

## \int{ dE } = \int{ \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}dT } + \int{ \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}dV } ##

If I put the partial derivatives:
## \int{ dE } = \int{\frac{B N^2}{ V}dT } + \int{ \frac{-B T N^2}{ V^2}dV } ##
Then I get ( with using the condition ## E(T=0) = 0 ## ):
## E(T,V) = \frac{2BT N^2}{ V} ##

Why my method of finding E(T,V) by integrating over all partial derivatives at once is incorrect( as opposed to the solution below)?

The right solution is:

## E(T,V) = \frac{BT N^2}{ V} ##
Explanation for the right solution:

Integrating the following partial derivative:

I get:

## E(T,V) = \frac{B T N^2}{ V} + C(T) ##

Using the condition ## E(T=0) = 0 ##, I get that:
## C(T) = 0 ##
Therefore:
## E(T,V) = \frac{B T N^2}{ V} ##

Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:
Problem Statement: I want to find the function ## E(V,T) ##
Relevant Equations: It is known that

## \frac{\partial E}{\partial T} = \frac{B N^2}{ V} ##

## E(T=0) = 0 ##

Where B, N are constants.

Attempt at solution:

Writing the chain rule for ## E(V,T) ##:

## dE = \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}dT + \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}dV ##

Then, integrating the differential:

## \int{ dE } = \int{ \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}dT } + \int{ \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}dV } ##

If I put the partial derivatives:
## \int{ dE } = \int{\frac{B N^2}{ V}dT } + \int{ \frac{-B T N^2}{ V^2}dV } ##
Then I get ( with using the condition ## E(T=0) = 0 ## ):
## E(T,V) = \frac{2BT N^2}{ V} ##

Why my method of finding E(T,V) by integrating over all partial derivatives at once is incorrect( as opposed to the solution below)?

Because in general[tex]
E = \int \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}\,dT + F(V) = \int \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}\,dV + G(T).
[/tex] What you are doing with your differential formulation is calculating [tex]
\int \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}\,dT + \int \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}\,dV = 2E - F(V) - G(T).[/tex] As in this case [itex]F = G = 0[/itex] this is giving you twice the correct answer.

pasmith said:
Because in general[tex]
E = \int \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}\,dT + F(V) = \int \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}\,dV + G(T).
[/tex] What you are doing with your differential formulation is calculating [tex]
\int \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}\,dT + \int \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}\,dV = 2E - F(V) - G(T).[/tex] As in this case [itex]F = G = 0[/itex] this is giving you twice the correct answer.

So instead of writing:
## dE = \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}dT + \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}dV ##Why from the beginning we don't write:
## 2dE = \frac{\partial E}{\partial T}dT + \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}dV ##
in order to fix the mistake?

Because it's wrong. You're suggesting making another mistake to compensate for your other mistake. Generally, that's not a good idea.

vela said:
Because it's wrong. You're suggesting making another mistake to compensate for your other mistake. Generally, that's not a good idea.

Why is it wrong?

1. What is a differential integration problem?

A differential integration problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the function that is the derivative of a given function. It is essentially the opposite of differentiation, where the goal is to find the function that was originally differentiated.

2. How do you solve a differential integration problem?

To solve a differential integration problem, you can use a variety of techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions. The specific method used will depend on the form of the given function and the techniques you are familiar with.

3. What is the purpose of solving a differential integration problem?

The purpose of solving a differential integration problem is to find the original function from its derivative. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering, where the rate of change of a quantity is known, and the goal is to find the quantity itself.

4. What are the common mistakes made when solving a differential integration problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a differential integration problem include forgetting to add the constant of integration, confusing the order of the terms when using integration by parts, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with the algebraic manipulations involved.

5. Can differential integration problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, differential integration problems can have multiple solutions. This is because the derivative of a function is not unique, and different functions may have the same derivative. However, when solving a specific problem, there is typically one correct solution that satisfies all given conditions.