Capacitor in Series/Parallel

• Thread starter bassplayer142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the student is seeking help in finding the equivalent capacitance for a circuit with a middle capacitor. They mention being able to handle the charges and other specifications, but are unsure of where to start for this specific problem. They are advised to refer to the theory behind the Wheatstone bridge circuit setup for guidance.
bassplayer142

Homework Statement

find the equvialent capacitace

Homework Equations

ceq=c1+c2
1/ceq=1/c1+1/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do some of these problems but this one has me stumped. I don't know how to start since the middle capacitor screws everything up. I think my teacher did it but I wasn't there for it and he won't do it again. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Don't worry about the charges and other specs as I can deal with that easily. Just the problem of the middle capacitor. I don't even know where to start to attempt this.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 329
Physics news on Phys.org
go and look at the theory for bridge (wheatstone bridge) circuit setup to get some ideas.

To find the equivalent capacitance in a series or parallel circuit, you can use the equations provided in the homework. In a series circuit, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of all the individual capacitors. In a parallel circuit, the equivalent capacitance is equal to the inverse of the sum of the individual capacitances.

In this case, the middle capacitor may seem confusing, but it can be treated as two separate capacitors in parallel. You can use the equation for parallel capacitors to find the equivalent capacitance of the two capacitors in the middle, and then add it to the other capacitors in the circuit to find the total equivalent capacitance.

Remember to pay attention to the units of capacitance (F, mF, μF) and convert them if necessary to have consistent units in your calculations. Also, make sure to follow the proper order of operations when using the equations. With these tips, you should be able to successfully find the equivalent capacitance in this series/parallel circuit.

1. What is a capacitor in series/parallel?

A capacitor in series/parallel is a combination of capacitors connected in either series or parallel. In series, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, while in parallel, they are connected side-by-side. This arrangement allows for increased capacitance and different properties to be achieved.

2. What is the difference between a series and parallel capacitor?

The main difference between a series and parallel capacitor is the way they are connected. In a series capacitor, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, resulting in a lower overall capacitance. In a parallel capacitor, the capacitors are connected side-by-side, resulting in a higher overall capacitance.

3. How do capacitors in series/parallel affect the overall capacitance?

In a series capacitor, the overall capacitance is lower than the individual capacitances of each capacitor. This is because the capacitors share the same voltage and the overall capacitance is divided between them. In a parallel capacitor, the overall capacitance is higher than the individual capacitances of each capacitor as they add up.

4. What are some practical applications of capacitors in series/parallel?

Capacitors in series/parallel are commonly used in electronic circuits to achieve specific capacitance values and properties. They are also used in power factor correction circuits, audio equipment, and in energy storage systems.

5. How do I calculate the total capacitance of capacitors in series/parallel?

For capacitors in series, the total capacitance can be calculated by adding the reciprocals of each individual capacitance and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. For capacitors in parallel, the total capacitance is the sum of all individual capacitances. It is important to note that the units of all capacitors must be the same before performing these calculations.