Why does math work, or Conceptual/Interesting Math Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mathematics being "great and majestic" and the struggle to understand it. The speaker mentions searching for help online to learn math conceptually rather than procedurally, but still has difficulty understanding the "whys" of math. The conversation also mentions the power and logical precision of math and how it is usually taught as a compromise between the two. The speaker suggests studying a book on mathematical logic to gain a deeper understanding of math.
BlueVanMeer
I am a sophomore in high school and have heard about how great and majestic math is, so I decided to get a piece of the action. However, I struggle to see the "great and majestic" part (though I really am trying). Granted, math isn't my strongest subject (it could be said that it's my weakest), so I've been perusing the internet for some math help that teaches conceptually not procedurally, for I've heard the former is much more fascinating and will help me get a better grip on the subject. That leads me to another point: I don't understand the "whys" of mathematics. For instance, I know that the lattice method of solving multiplication works, but I have no clue as to the "inbetween." Now that I'm learning things such as various quadratic formulas, the problem has gotten much worse.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's great or majestic is probably a matter of taste. In my opinion, there are two somewhat contradictory aspects that make mathematics impressive. On the one hand there is the "power" of mathematics. Often "power" amounts to being able to solve and calculate things by various algorithms and manipulations without thinking about the details and the "why"s of the situation. On the other hand there is the logical precision of mathematics, which does involves understanding the "why"s. The traditional way to teach math is a compromise between these two aspects. Knowing all the precise (an sometimes hair splitting) logic behind mathematics is considered a topic for advanced students - say college seniors or graduate students. So you aren't going to be taught that way as a sophomore in H.S. People's standards for thinking they understand something get stricter as they study more advanced topics. A beginning algebra student may think he understands why x + x = 2x. But that level of understanding may not be sufficient to write a proof in a college course in abstract algebra.

If you aren't happy with how well you understand H.S. level math, I suggest you study an introductory book on mathematical logic. (However, don't neglect your regular courses if you do that.)

1. Why is math considered the universal language?

Math is considered the universal language because it is a system of symbols and rules that are used to represent and manipulate quantities and relationships. These symbols and rules are based on logic and are not influenced by cultural or linguistic differences. This makes math a universal tool for communication and problem-solving.

2. How does math apply to the real world?

Math is used in almost every aspect of our daily lives, from calculating simple grocery bills to designing complex engineering structures. It is used in fields such as science, finance, technology, and medicine. Math helps us understand and make sense of the world around us by providing tools for measurement, analysis, and prediction.

3. What makes math interesting or fun?

Math can be interesting and fun because it involves problem-solving and critical thinking. It challenges our brains and allows us to explore new concepts and ideas. Math also has real-world applications that can be fascinating to discover. Additionally, math can be made more interesting through creative and interactive teaching methods.

4. How can I improve my math skills?

Improving math skills takes practice and dedication. Some tips for improving math skills include practicing regularly, seeking help from a teacher or tutor, using online resources, and applying math to real-life situations. It is also helpful to have a positive attitude towards math and to approach it with curiosity and determination.

5. What are some useful resources for learning math?

There are many online and offline resources available for learning math. Some useful resources include textbooks, online courses, educational websites, math games and puzzles, and math tutoring services. It is important to find resources that cater to your learning style and to use a variety of resources to gain a well-rounded understanding of math concepts.