Math concepts with in depth origin and conception

In summary, there are several recommended resources for learning about the origins and history of concepts in mathematics and physics. These include Physics, the Human Adventure by Stephen Brush and Gerald Horton, A History of Mathematics by Victor Katz, and A Cultural History of Physics by Karoly Simonyi. It is also suggested to browse online book stores and utilize interlibrary loan to find additional resources.
Jonnybdead
I was just wondering if there are any resources on mathematics and physics that explain the origins of the concepts. I am not currently in college right now but I absolutely love physics and quantum mechanics. I am trying to understand the nature of reality because it is so fascinating. I'm understanding concepts but I would really like to understand the mathematical language that truly describes these Concepts. Are there any good resources for this information other than Googling the concept, then the person that came up with it, then the fundamentals behind it? This is what I've been doing so far. It's not that it's not working. I am understanding it and able to apply it in math problems. Even without it I can still solve problems. But without this history of why and how the conceptual visualization isn't there. I am currently halfway through the free MIT Math course of linear algebra. Thank you for any help you could give me

Physics news on Phys.org
For the top of your list I would recommend Physics, the Human Adventure by Stephen Brush and Gerald Horton. It does a great job discussing the nature and philosophy of science in addition to serving as an introductory physical science textbook which follows a historical progression (geared toward early college level). Make sure not to skip over the rather long section in the middle about the nature of concepts and progress in science as it will inform you very well about the role of theory in science and also the limitations of science.

For mathematics you may find A History of Mathematics by Victor Katz interesting. It will keep you occupied for many years, and you'll want to supplement it with many other sources along the way.

Finally, check out A Cultural History of Physics by Karoly Simonyi.

To find others I'd just recommend browsing some online book stores, and I'm sure you can find all of the books through interlibrary loan.

1. Where did the concept of numbers originate from?

The concept of numbers can be traced back to ancient civilizations, such as the Sumerians and Egyptians, who used numbers for counting and measuring. The development of the decimal system and place value notation can be credited to the ancient Indians and their contributions to mathematics.

2. Who is considered the father of modern mathematics?

The title of "father of modern mathematics" is often attributed to ancient Greek mathematician, Euclid. His work, "Elements", laid the foundation for modern geometry and is still studied and used today.

3. What is the significance of the number zero in mathematics?

The concept of zero was first introduced by ancient Indian mathematicians and later adopted by other civilizations. Zero is significant in mathematics as it serves as a placeholder and allows for the creation of the decimal system, making complex calculations possible.

4. How has the concept of infinity been understood and studied throughout history?

The concept of infinity has been studied and debated by philosophers and mathematicians for centuries. Ancient Greek philosopher, Zeno, proposed paradoxes that challenged the concept of infinity, while mathematicians like Archimedes and Galileo explored the idea of infinite series and quantities. Today, infinity is a key concept in fields such as calculus and set theory.

5. What is the relationship between mathematics and other sciences?

Mathematics is often referred to as the "language of science" as it provides a universal framework for understanding and analyzing the natural world. Many scientific disciplines, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, rely heavily on mathematical concepts and equations to explain and predict phenomena.