Quantum Master Equation in String Theory

In summary, the quantum master equation (or BV master equation) is a fundamental equation in the Batalin-Vilkovisky formalism that extends Quantum Field Theory from points to manifolds, and is an important concept in string theory. It is a highly specialized area in physics that requires advanced knowledge in quantum field theory and other topics.
Caeadas
Can anyone give me a general sense of what the quantum master equation (or BV master equation) is and how it relates to string theory? I'm an undergraduate physics student and am hoping to do research with a professor on the topic, but need some basic knowledge on the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
Caeadas said:
Can anyone give me a general sense of what the quantum master equation (or BV master equation) is and how it relates to string theory? I'm an undergraduate physics student and am hoping to do research with a professor on the topic, but need some basic knowledge on the subject.

Sorry, what? Master equation? BV equation? I have no idea what you're talking about :confused:

Caeadas said:

You mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalin–Vilkovisky_formalism#Master_equation

Nabeshin said:
Sorry, what? Master equation? BV equation? I have no idea what you're talking about :confused:

BV stands for Batalin–Vilkovisky
TheWikipedia article has a section on the BV Master equation.

As I understand it, string theory is an extention of Quantum Field Theory from points to manifolds. So wouldn't the master equation be one that simply extends QFT from points to manifolds? What else would be needed?

You might find something relevant in the review C. Thorn, "String Field Theory", Phys. Rept. 175 , 1, (1989). You should be able to get a pdf version of the article by following the link to the http://www-lib.kek.jp/cgi-bin/img_index?8811139 . You can also find recent papers which cited that review at http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&p=refersto:recid:265248

This seems to be a very specialized area that would require an excellent understanding of quantum field theory, not to mention many more advanced topics. It would seem an unusual choice for an undergraduate project, but your professor might have a very specific idea in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Quantum Master Equation in String Theory?

The Quantum Master Equation in String Theory is a mathematical equation that describes the evolution of a quantum state in string theory. It takes into account all possible interactions and processes that can occur in a quantum system, including the creation and annihilation of strings.

2. Why is the Quantum Master Equation important in String Theory?

The Quantum Master Equation is important in String Theory because it allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of strings at a quantum level. It also helps us to understand the fundamental principles and properties of string theory, such as the quantization of gravity and the existence of extra dimensions.

3. How is the Quantum Master Equation derived?

The Quantum Master Equation is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and string theory. It involves using mathematical techniques such as path integrals and conformal field theory to describe the behavior of strings at a quantum level. The equation is constantly being refined and developed as our understanding of string theory improves.

4. Can the Quantum Master Equation be solved exactly?

No, the Quantum Master Equation cannot be solved exactly. It is a highly complex equation that describes the behavior of an infinite number of strings and their interactions. However, approximate solutions can be found using various techniques, such as perturbation theory and numerical simulations.

5. How does the Quantum Master Equation relate to other equations in String Theory?

The Quantum Master Equation is a fundamental equation in String Theory, and it relates to other equations in the theory in various ways. For example, it can be used to derive the equations of motion for strings, and it is also a key component in the formulation of string field theory. Additionally, the solutions to the Quantum Master Equation can be used to make predictions about the behavior of strings in different scenarios.