Use superposition to find potential drop (but a problem)

In summary, the problem asks to find V0 in the circuit using superposition. Superposition involves calculating the current in the circuit with the voltage source shorted and the current source cut out, and then adding those currents together. In this case, the result is 0, meaning that V0 is also 0. This can also be confirmed using other techniques such as nodal analysis or source conversion.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Use superposition to find V0 in the circuit:

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/5567/eecircfinal1.jpg

Homework Equations

V = IR

Voltage division for 2 series resistors:
V across a resistor = (Resistor / total series resistance)(V in)

Current division for 2 parallel resistors:
Current through a resistor = (other resistor / math. sum of parallel resistors)(I in)

Superposition methods:
I = I' + I''

I' = current with circuit having voltage source shorted
I'' = current with circuit having current source cut out

The Attempt at a Solution

Following the above & So for I' and the voltage source shorted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/8991/eecircfinal1edit1.jpg

Then with current division,

I' = (4Ω/12Ω)(6A)

I' = 2A

Following the above again for I'' and with the current source cut out:

http://imageshack.us/a/img541/5840/eecircfinal1edit2.jpg

And then since the resistors above are all in series then I just add to get R tot = 12Ω.

But then I = V/R

So then I'' = 24V / 12Ω

I'' = 2A,

BUT compared with the set superposition current direction in the diagram would it then be -2A?

If so, then the current I = I' + I'' would be 0 and then I think that would be wrong. I know afterwards after you get I from I' + I'', then V0 is just V0 = I*2Ω

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Color_of_Cyan said:
BUT compared with the set superposition current direction in the diagram would it then be -2A?
Sure.
If so, then the current I = I' + I'' would be 0 and then I think that would be wrong. I know afterwards after you get I from I' + I'', then V0 is just V0 = I*2Ω
0 is a perfectly good value for the current :smile:

Why not confirm your results using one or more other techniques? For example, nodal analysis, or mesh analysis. Or even better, source conversion; convert the voltage source and series resistor into an equivalent current source... what do you see then?

Okay, so it's a trick question then :D

Thanks.

So V0 is just 0 then too.

And checking what you say, switched the Thevenin voltage to Norton equivalent current (or however you call it) and got 6A going the opposite way. So the current actually cancels out ?
Thanks for the help again.

Color_of_Cyan said:
And checking what you say, switched the Thevenin voltage to Norton equivalent current (or however you call it) and got 6A going the opposite way. So the current actually cancels out ?
The current sources are in parallel, so they add: -6 + 6 = 0, no problem!

Superposition is a useful technique for solving circuits with multiple sources. However, in this particular circuit, there is a problem with the application of superposition. The problem lies in the fact that the two sources (voltage source and current source) are not independent. This means that when we short one source, we are altering the circuit and the current division and voltage division equations used for solving the circuit are no longer valid. Similarly, when we cut out the other source, we are also altering the circuit and the equations used for solving the circuit are no longer valid. Therefore, superposition cannot be applied in this case and an alternative method, such as mesh or nodal analysis, should be used to find the potential drop.

1. What is superposition and how does it relate to potential drop?

Superposition is a principle in physics that states that the total electric potential at a point due to multiple charges is equal to the sum of the individual potentials at that point. In the context of potential drop, this means that we can break down a complex system of charges into simpler parts and calculate the potential drop at a point by adding up the potential drops caused by each individual charge.

2. How do I use superposition to find potential drop?

To use superposition to find potential drop, you must first determine the individual potential drops caused by each charge in the system. This can be done using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential drop, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where you want to find the potential drop. Once you have the individual potential drops, you can add them together to find the total potential drop at the point.

3. Can superposition be used for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, superposition can be used for any type of charge distribution as long as the charges are static (not moving). This includes point charges, continuous charge distributions, and even complex systems of charges.

4. Are there any limitations to using superposition for potential drop?

One limitation of using superposition for potential drop is that it assumes that the charges are spaced far enough apart that their electric fields do not interact with each other. This is known as the "far-field approximation" and may not be accurate for systems with charges that are very close together.

5. Can superposition be used to find the potential drop at any point in a system?

Yes, superposition can be used to find the potential drop at any point in a system as long as you have the individual potential drops caused by each charge. However, it may become increasingly complex and time-consuming for systems with a large number of charges and/or non-uniform charge distributions.