Solving a System with a Saddle: Exploring x(t) and y(t)

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to do a question on a system where they first need to find the general solution. They found the general solution to be: c_1 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 1 \\ 1 \\\end{array}} \right]e^t + c_2 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 1 \\ 3 \\\end{array}} \right]e^{ - 3t}
Benny
Hi, I'm unsure about how to do the following question.

I am given the following system for which I first need to find the general solution.

[tex]
\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{\mathop x\limits^ \bullet } \\
{\mathop y\limits^ \bullet } \\
\end{array}} \right] = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
3 & { - 2} \\
6 & { - 5} \\
\end{array}} \right]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex]

I found the general solution to be:

[tex]
\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right] = c_1 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
1 \\
1 \\
\end{array}} \right]e^t + c_2 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
1 \\
3 \\
\end{array}} \right]e^{ - 3t}
[/tex]

I then sketched the phase portrait which in this case is a saddle. The question asks me to use this phase portrait to sketch x(t) and y(t) on the same graph for the case of x = 1, y = 2.9 when t = 0.

I can't think of a way to do this. The phase portrait I've sketched is for the general solution. I've tried a few things with the point (x,y) = (1,2.9) including shifting the 'centre' of the saddle to that point but none of the things I've tried have any reasoning behind them. They're just random things I've tried which haven't lead me anywhere. Can someone please help me out? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the general solution
[tex]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} x \\ y \\\end{array}} \right] = c_1 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 1 \\ 1 \\\end{array}} \right]e^t + c_2 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 1 \\ 3 \\\end{array}} \right]e^{ - 3t} [/tex]
then surely
[tex]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} x(0) \\ y(0) \\\end{array}} \right] = c_1 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 1 \\ 1 \\\end{array}} \right] + c_2 \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c} 1 \\ 3 \\\end{array}} \right]= \left[\begin{array}{c}{c_1+ c_2}\\{c_1+ 3c_2}\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c}1 \\ 2.9\end{array}\right][/tex]
so that [itex]c_1+ c_2= 1[/itex] and [itex]c_1+ 3c_2= 2.9[/itex]. Once you've found the actual solution, it should be easy to graph it.

But that isn't really "using the phase portrait". I presume you calculated that the eigenvalues of the coefficient matrix are -3 and 1 and that y= 3x and y= x give eigenvalues of each respectively. Are you clear on exactly what the "phase portrait is? You make it sound as if you have just drawn those two lines. Of course, those lines are part of the phase portrait with "flow" along the line y= 3x directed inward (since it corresponds to the negative eigenvalue) and "flow" along the line y= x directed outward. But the phase diagram also consists of all hyperbolas having those lines as asymptotes and the same "flow".

No, the graph of the solution satisfying x(0)= 1, y(0)= 2.9 is not the phase portrait "shifted". It is the particular hyperbola, out of all those having asymptotes y= 3x, y= x. that passes through (1, 2.9)

The eigenvectors are the axes of the hyperbolas. Their directions, along with the general solution allow for a sketch of the family of solutions if the appropriate values of t are considered. I've drawn the saddle (ie. the hyperbolas).

If I locate the point I'll get one of the hyperbolas - there are an infinite number of trajectories but the sketch will only have the key hyperbolas for clarity. Having found the hyperbola which corresponds to the point (x,y) = (1, 2.9), I still only have a curve of y against x and not y(t) and x(t) separately - I just don't get how I can sketch the curves of x(t) and y(t) using only the phase portrait. Nor do I understand the relevance of "t=0" to the required sketches. Can you please offer further assistance?

1. What is a saddle point in a system?

A saddle point in a system is a point where one variable increases while the other decreases, resulting in a curve that resembles a saddle. It is a critical point in a system where the derivative of both variables is equal to zero, but the second derivative is different for each variable.

2. How do you solve a system with a saddle point?

To solve a system with a saddle point, you will need to use the method of partial derivatives. This involves finding the critical points of both variables, setting up a system of equations using the partial derivatives, and solving for the values of x and y at the saddle point.

3. What is the significance of x(t) and y(t) in a system with a saddle point?

x(t) and y(t) represent the position or value of two variables, x and y, over a period of time. In a system with a saddle point, these functions will intersect at the saddle point, which is a critical point in the system.

4. Can a system with a saddle point have more than one solution?

Yes, a system with a saddle point can have multiple solutions. This is because the saddle point is a critical point, and there can be multiple values of x and y that satisfy the system of equations at that point.

5. How can exploring x(t) and y(t) help understand the behavior of a system with a saddle point?

Exploring x(t) and y(t) can help understand the behavior of a system with a saddle point by visualizing how the values of x and y change over time. This can provide insights into the stability and dynamics of the system, and how it responds to different inputs or conditions.