Transfer matrix, section in Jan Smit's book on Lattice Fields theory

In summary, the person is struggling to show equations (2.32) and (2.33) from Jan Smit's book on introduction to quantum fields on a lattice. They have attempted to expand both sides and make replacements for certain variables, but are unsure if they are going about it the right way. They also mention having trouble including LaTeX in their post and provide a screenshot of the section they are struggling with. They are requesting assistance in solving the equations.
anony
Hi guys,

Basically I'm working through Jan Smit's book, http://books.google.com/books?id=pFgUFfG7JygC&printsec=frontcover&dq=introduction+to+quantum+fields+on+a+lattice&hl=en&src=bmrr&ei=mabWTOjtMoK4hAfh0eGGBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false , and I'm struggling to show equations (2.32),(2.33). Would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction.

I have thus far attempted to expand both sides. That is I made the replacements for [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{q}[/tex] in [tex]\hat{T}[/tex] and in the column vectors. But I don't see how I'm supposed to work any of it out? Am I going about this in the wrong way? For example, the top element in the vector [tex] \times \hat{T}[/tex] should be

[tex] exp(\frac{-w^{2}}{4}q^{2}) exp(\frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial q^{2}}) exp(-w^{2}\frac{q^{2}}{4}) \times -i \frac{\partial}{\partial q}[/tex]

and similarly for all the other terms. Is this the right way to go about it?

Thanks in advance

(sorry, i can't immediately see how to include latex?)

EDIT: I was told that for some google books isn't working on that page, so here is a screen shot of just the section I'm struggling with:
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8466/probp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's very difficult to see what the equation is, you need to begin with a tex (square bracketed) and end with a /tex (square bracketed.)

Last edited:

1. What is a transfer matrix in lattice field theory?

A transfer matrix in lattice field theory is a mathematical tool used to describe the evolution of a system over time. It relates the state of a system at a certain time to its state at a later time, taking into account the interactions between different components of the system.

2. How is the transfer matrix calculated?

The transfer matrix is calculated by breaking the system into smaller sections and finding the matrix that describes the evolution of each section. These matrices are then multiplied together to get the overall transfer matrix for the entire system.

3. What is the importance of the transfer matrix in lattice field theory?

The transfer matrix is a crucial tool in lattice field theory because it allows for the calculation of physical observables and the study of the behavior of the system over time. It also helps in understanding the symmetries and conservation laws of the system.

4. How does the transfer matrix relate to the Hamiltonian of a system?

The transfer matrix and the Hamiltonian are related through the Euclidean path integral, which is a mathematical expression used to calculate the probabilities of different states of a system. The transfer matrix is essentially the exponential of the Hamiltonian, with a time step included.

5. Are there any limitations to using the transfer matrix in lattice field theory?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the transfer matrix in lattice field theory. It is most commonly used for studying systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom, and it can become computationally intensive for larger systems. Additionally, the transfer matrix approach may not be suitable for systems with continuous symmetries.