Understanding Amperage for Automobile Headlight Bulb

• Thread starter DJM111188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amperage
In summary: This introduces heat, which can cause an explosion or fire.If you're using carbon-zinc cells, they are not likely to last more than a few hours. Alkaline cells may last longer, but are heavier and more expensive.
DJM111188
I am trying to understand a personal dilemma. I would like to hook up an automobile headlight bulb to a custom made battery pack. What I don't understand is how amps are related to the circuit. Let's say I took (2) 6volt lantern batteries and wired them in a parallel circuit. Now that would be 12volts correct? So now I know that I have the correct voltage to power the headlamp.

Now let's say the headlight bulb is rated a 55watts. So 55/12=4.58. So that means the bulbs require 4.58amps, correct? I know the amperage of the fuse that the headlights came from was a 15amp fuse. I don't understand how to test/ know whether or not the 2 6volts batteries wired in parallel have the proper amount of amperage. Is it as simply as hooking up a multi meter and test the amps of the circuit "shorted"(without the headlight wired up?) or is there more to it?

Also can any explain to me exactly what can burn the bulb out, in reference to electrical variables. For instance if I have too many amps running to it? Or if I have 24volts instead of 12?

I am very new to electrical engineering and I sincerely appreciate anyone's insight.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First of all (2) 6 volt bulbs connected in parallel require 6 volt and not 12 volt, since they are in parallel so they are connected to the same points, this means you need a source of 6 volt and can give power more than 110w, since each bulb needs 55w.
Now you can calculate the current that traverses each bulb which is given by the following formula: P=V*I
giving I=P/V...then the current in each bulb is=55/6=9.1 A

DJM111188 said:
I am trying to understand a personal dilemma. I would like to hook up an automobile headlight bulb to a custom made battery pack. What I don't understand is how amps are related to the circuit. Let's say I took (2) 6volt lantern batteries and wired them in a parallel circuit. Now that would be 12volts correct? So now I know that I have the correct voltage to power the headlamp.

Now let's say the headlight bulb is rated a 55watts. So 55/12=4.58. So that means the bulbs require 4.58amps, correct? I know the amperage of the fuse that the headlights came from was a 15amp fuse. I don't understand how to test/ know whether or not the 2 6volts batteries wired in parallel have the proper amount of amperage. Is it as simply as hooking up a multi meter and test the amps of the circuit "shorted"(without the headlight wired up?) or is there more to it?

Also can any explain to me exactly what can burn the bulb out, in reference to electrical variables. For instance if I have too many amps running to it? Or if I have 24volts instead of 12?

I am very new to electrical engineering and I sincerely appreciate anyone's insight.

I guess that was a typo. The batteries give 12 volts if they are in series. They give 6 volts if they are in parallel.

Batteries in series and parallel.PNG

If you put a 12 V 55 watt lamp across 12 V it will draw 4.58 amps and dissipate 55 watts.
On 6 volts it would draw less current but probably not exactly half of 4.58 amps.

Testing batteries has to be done safely. If you just shorted out a car battery there could be an explosion, melted wires, a fire or other mayhem.
So, you put a known heavy load across the battery and measure the voltage drop. Then you can calculate the short circuit current.

More useful is the ampere-hour figure for the battery. You need to know how long a battery would last if it was supplying 10 amps, for example.

A lamp will burn out if it gets too much voltage. You can't make a lamp draw too much current if it doesn't get more than its rated voltage.

Last edited:
Hello DJM111188,

Perhaps it would be useful to check what you mean by "lantern batteries". Are they non-rechargeable carbon-zinc or alkaline types, weighing a bit over 1lb (600g) each? If so, what you have planned probably won't work well, or for very long. There are a few issues:
  1. As explained in the previous post, you need to consider the Ampere-hour capacity. Disposable batteries of this class likely have only a few Ah capacity, rated at their intended discharge current of 1A or less. The effective capacity would be less at over 4A drain.
  2. Even when new, at this high current the battery voltage will be noticeably reduced by an effect called internal resistance: the battery behaves as if there is a small resistance in series with it. As the battery discharges, this internal resistance will rise and the voltage will fall even more.
  3. Particularly with the cheaper zinc-carbon types, some of the chemical reactions within the battery can't keep up with very high discharge rates. This causes a further drop in voltage after a short time in use, although this recovers if the battery is "rested"
  4. Last but not least, it is possible that the heavy lamp load may result in the batteries getting hot and perhaps leaking.

The bottom line is that you need an appropriate battery for the job in hand.

Last edited:
Perhaps the following site can help:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/EN529.pdf

For really high output applications, ni-cad battery packs, such as the ones used for RC cars, can output a tremendous amount of current for a relatively short time (i.e 2.5 amps for one hour for C sized). I've seen people operate portable movie lamps from these. There's probably much better technologies available now. You might look at:
BatterySpace.com

- Mike

Related to Understanding Amperage for Automobile Headlight Bulb

What is amperage and why is it important for automobile headlight bulbs?

Amperage, also known as current, refers to the flow of electrical charge through a circuit. It is important for automobile headlight bulbs because it determines the amount of power that is supplied to the bulb, which affects its brightness and overall performance.

How do I know what amperage is needed for my automobile headlight bulb?

The amperage needed for your automobile headlight bulb can typically be found in the owner's manual or on the packaging of the bulb. You can also consult with a mechanic or refer to online resources for specific amperage requirements for your vehicle.

Can using the wrong amperage bulb damage my automobile?

Yes, using a bulb with the wrong amperage can potentially damage your automobile. If the bulb draws too much amperage, it can overload the circuit and cause electrical issues. If it draws too little amperage, it may not provide enough power for proper functioning and could potentially cause the bulb to burn out.

How does amperage affect the lifespan of an automobile headlight bulb?

The amperage supplied to an automobile headlight bulb can affect its lifespan. If the bulb receives too much amperage, it can cause the filament to burn out quickly. If it receives too little amperage, it may not provide enough power for the bulb to function properly, leading to a shorter lifespan.

What are the consequences of using a higher amperage bulb than recommended for my automobile?

Using a higher amperage bulb than recommended for your automobile can result in several consequences. It can cause the bulb to overheat, potentially leading to a shortened lifespan or even causing damage to the wiring or other components of your vehicle. It may also be a safety hazard, as the increased brightness could potentially blind other drivers on the road.