Trace of a linear operator

In summary, the trace of a linear operator on a finite dimensional linear space is the trace of any matrix which represents the operator relative to an ordered basis of the space. This definition is well-defined as it is independent of the basis chosen. The matrix representation of a linear transformation can be found by determining how it acts on the basis vectors and constructing a matrix with these results as columns.
strugglinginmat
I understand the definition of trace and linear operator individually but I don't seem to understand as to what does it mean by trace of a linear operator on a finite dimensional linear space.
What I have found out is that trace of a linear operator on a finite dimensional linear space is the trace of any matrix which represents the operator relative to an ordered basis of the space. I am confused as why is this definition well defined.
If T:V->V is the linear operator defined on V by T(A)=BA for all A in V and B is a fixed matrix. How do I represent T relative to standard ordered basis for V where V is the linear space of all 2X2 real matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
As for the first part: you can prove it as follows: Let L be a linear operator and A its matrix representation w.r.t. some chosen basis.
- Check that the representation w.r.t. any other basis can be written as [tex]D A D^{-1}[/tex], where D is an invertible ("change of basis") matrix.
- Now check the cyclic property for the trace (e.g. by writing out in components) [tex]\mathrm{Tr}(A B C) = \mathrm{Tr}(B C A) = \mathrm{Tr}(C A B)[/tex]
- Combine them, you'll see that the trace is the same in any basis. So it's well-defined.

Now in general, you can write out the matrix of a linear transformation by finding out how it acts on the basis vectors. For example, suppose A mirrors the plane in the origin. Take the standard basis i = (1, 0), j = (0, 1). Now Ai = (-1, 0) and Aj = (0, -1). Putting these as columns of A gives [tex] A =\left(\begin{array}{cc} -1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]. Now check for yourself, that this does indeed produce the correct result for any vector (hint: write it out in components w.r.t. to the basis {i, j}).

Hope that gets you started. I left the details out on purpose, if you get stuck anywhere just ask :)

Last edited:

The trace of a linear operator on a finite dimensional linear space is a numerical value that represents the sum of the diagonal elements of the matrix representation of the operator. In other words, it is the sum of the eigenvalues of the operator.

In the example given, the linear operator T is defined as T(A)=BA, where B is a fixed matrix. To represent T relative to the standard ordered basis for V, we need to determine the matrix representation of T with respect to this basis. This can be done by finding the matrix representation of B and then multiplying it by the matrix representation of A. The resulting matrix will be the matrix representation of T relative to the standard ordered basis.

The reason why this definition is well-defined is that the trace of a linear operator is independent of the choice of basis. This means that no matter which basis we choose to represent the operator, the trace will remain the same. This is because the trace is a property of the operator itself, not of its matrix representation. Therefore, the trace of a linear operator is a unique and well-defined value.

In summary, the trace of a linear operator on a finite dimensional linear space is a numerical value that represents the sum of the diagonal elements of the matrix representation of the operator. It is independent of the choice of basis and is a unique and well-defined value.

1. What is the definition of the trace of a linear operator?

The trace of a linear operator is the sum of its diagonal elements when the operator is represented by a square matrix. It is denoted by tr(A) or Tr(A).

2. How is the trace of a linear operator useful in mathematics?

The trace of a linear operator has many important applications in mathematics, such as determining the eigenvalues of the operator, calculating the determinant of the operator, and characterizing the behavior of the operator under certain transformations.

3. Can the trace of a linear operator be negative?

Yes, the trace of a linear operator can be negative. It simply represents the sum of the diagonal elements of the operator and does not have any restrictions on its sign.

4. How is the trace of a linear operator related to the concept of dimension?

The trace of a linear operator is related to the concept of dimension through the concept of rank. The rank of a linear operator is equal to the number of non-zero eigenvalues, which is equal to the dimension of the subspace spanned by the eigenvectors. The trace of the operator is equal to the sum of the eigenvalues, which is equal to the rank of the operator.

5. Is the trace of a linear operator affected by change of basis?

No, the trace of a linear operator remains unchanged under a change of basis. This is because the trace is a property of the operator itself and is not affected by the way it is represented in different coordinate systems.