Drawing Energy Level Diagrams for LiF Molecule: How To?

In summary, the conversation is about the process of drawing energy level diagrams for LiF molecule and the confusion over the placement of electrons in bonding and antibonding orbitals. The expert suggests reading the textbook and asking specific questions for assistance. They also point out that the diagram currently has a bond order of zero and that LiF does not have electrons in antibonding orbitals. A helpful online resource is provided for further clarification.
melissajohn
how do you draw the energy level diagrams for LiF molecule? i know how to draw an energy level digram for Li but how do you do it for a molecule?

Physics news on Phys.org
melissajohn said:
how do you draw the energy level diagrams for LiF molecule? i know how to draw an energy level digram for Li but how do you do it for a molecule?

Are you in Inorganic Chemistry?

yes i am... can you help?

Then this is a homework question ... you need to read your text and ask specific questions.

Where are all of the other 2p orbitals for Oxygen? What is the particular 2p orbital that would have the correct symmetry to overlap with the 2s orbital of Be? Where are all of the other valence electrons for Oxygen?

The diagram is partially correct , the p electrons of O are more stable than the 2s of Be.

ok i tried to fix it... i really hope this is right. please let me know if i am doing it right now. thanks.

here it is.

Attachments

• BeO.jpg
    BeO.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,417
melissajohn said:
here it is.

You got more electrons in the MO than in the AO , with the current setup BeO has a bond order of zero.

ok... i will delete some electrons from the MO.

Again , the bond order is zero , this means that BeO has no bonds ... why are you putting the electrons in the antibonding orbitals?

right... i don't think i put electrons in the antiboding orbitals for LiF

1. What is an energy level diagram?

An energy level diagram is a visual representation of the different energy levels that an atom can have. It shows the arrangement of electrons in an atom's energy levels, which are also known as orbitals.

2. How do you draw an energy level diagram?

To draw an energy level diagram, you start by writing the symbol of the element in the center of the diagram. Then, you draw circles or squares around the center symbol to represent the different energy levels. Finally, you fill in the orbitals with the correct number of electrons based on the element's atomic number.

3. What is the purpose of an energy level diagram?

The purpose of an energy level diagram is to show the arrangement of electrons in an atom and their corresponding energy levels. This diagram can help scientists understand and predict an atom's behavior and chemical properties.

4. How do energy levels relate to an atom's stability?

The closer an electron is to the nucleus, the lower its energy level and the more stable the atom is. As you move further away from the nucleus, the energy levels increase and the atom becomes less stable.

5. Can energy level diagrams be used for molecules?

Yes, energy level diagrams can also be used for molecules. In this case, the diagram will show the energy levels and orbitals of the individual atoms that make up the molecule, as well as the interactions between them.