How Does the Angle of a Lawnmower Handle Affect the Force Needed to Push It?

• Thread starter gillyr2
  • Start date
In summary, the attempted solution for the homework statement involves finding the force of friction in a situation where the force of friction is too high to move the lawnmower.
gillyr2

Homework Statement

Consider a lawnmower of weight "w" which can slide across a horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction "u". In this problem the lawnmower is pushed using a massless handle, which makes an angle "0" with the horizontal. Assume that F(h), the force exerted by the handle, is parallel to the handle.

Take the positive x direction to be to the right and the postive y direction to be upward.

Homework Equations

n-w-F(h)*sin(0) = 0 = Fx

-F(h)cos(0)+F(f)= 0 = Fy

0 = pheta
solving for F(h)
n - normal force
w - weight
F(f) friction

The Attempt at a Solution

(n-w-F(f))/(-sin(0)+cos(0))

the correct answer does not involve F(f) and n.

HELP!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone help? am i suppose to use the friction coeffeicient formula?

u(k)=F(f)/n?

What are you supposed to calculate?

F(h) the

At a guess you are trying to find the total force forward contributing towards the forward motion. Either this or the values based on limiting equilibrium. Heres how you do em.

When pushing down on the handle force is F
The horizontal force going towards pushing it forward is Fcos[a] where a is the angle formed between the handle and the ground.
The vertical force down caused by F is Fsin[a]
The total vertical force down is Fsin[a]+mg
This must be the reaction force so force f due to friction is
f = alpha(Fsin[a]+mg)
so total force T pushing the mower will be
Total Force Forward = Fcos[a] - [alpha(Fsin[a]+mg)]

On the limit of eqm Force Forward = 0 so
Fcos[a] = alpha(Fsin[a]+mg)

this is actual physics...with variables according to my professor

didn't work sorry it was wrong. but i corrected the variables in the problem. i just noticed that they weren't excluded. my apologies

The solution for F(h) has a singularity (that is, becomes infinitely large) at a certain angle 0critical. For any angle , 0>0critical the expression for F(h) will be negative. However, a negative applied force F(h) would reverse the direction of friction acting on the lawnmower, and thus this is not a physically acceptable solution. In fact, the increased normal force at these large angles makes the force of friction too large to move the lawnmower at all.

Find an expression for tan(0critical).

found them both :D that's 1/u

FAQ: How Does the Angle of a Lawnmower Handle Affect the Force Needed to Push It?

1. What does it mean to factor an expression?

Factoring an expression means to break it down into smaller parts that can be multiplied together to give the original expression.

2. Why is factoring important in mathematics?

Factoring is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily.

3. How do you know when an expression is fully factored?

An expression is fully factored when it cannot be simplified any further and contains only prime numbers, variables, and basic mathematical operations.

4. What are some common techniques for factoring?

Some common techniques for factoring include finding common factors, using the distributive property, and using techniques like grouping or the difference of squares.

5. How can I improve my factoring skills?

The best way to improve your factoring skills is through practice and familiarizing yourself with common factoring techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources to learn more about factoring.

Back