Proving periodic orbits using Poincare Bendixson's Theorem and a trapping region

In summary, the statement says there is at least one periodic orbit in a bounded domain that contains no critical points. This means the orbit is stable.
Rubik

Homework Statement

System in polar coordinates
[itex]\dot{r}[/itex] = 2r - r3(2 + sin([itex]\theta[/itex])),
[itex]\dot{\theta}[/itex] = 3 - r2

Use a trapping region to show there is at least one periodic orbit?

Homework Equations

By using Poincare Bendixson's Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling to know where to start.. Do I start by considering
g([itex]\theta[/itex]) = 2 + sin([itex]\theta[/itex]). Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your g(θ) is always between 3 and 1. Try and find a small value r1 such that r' on the circle r=r1 is always positive. Now find a larger value of r2 such that r' on the circle r=r2 is always negative. Doesn't that make the region between the two circles a trapping region? Now think about fixed points.

Okay so does this mean

1≤g(θ)≤3 So you get

[itex]\dot{r}[/itex] = 2r - r3g(θ)
[itex]\dot{r}[/itex] > 2r - 3r3 > 0 and so 2/3 > r2

[itex]\dot{r}[/itex] < 2r - r3 < 0 and so r2 > 2

and √(2/3) < r < √2

Rubik said:
Okay so does this mean

1≤g(θ)≤3 So you get

[itex]\dot{r}[/itex] = 2r - r3g(θ)
[itex]\dot{r}[/itex] > 2r - 3r3 > 0 and so 2/3 > r2

[itex]\dot{r}[/itex] < 2r - r3 < 0 and so r2 > 2

and √(2/3) < r < √2

No, you don't really have to solve for anything. Pick a small value of r like r=1/2. Can you show r'>0 if r=1/2?

So if I have to give bounds for the periodic orbit I can pick any value for r(small) provided r'>0 and then choose another value (this time larger) and show r'<0? How would I then determine its stability characteristics?

Rubik said:
So if I have to give bounds for the periodic orbit I can pick any value for r(small) provided r'>0 and then choose another value (this time larger) and show r'<0? How would I then determine its stability characteristics?

If you can find such values then you have a trapped region between the two circles. Can you have a fixed point in between? Try and figure out why not. Where can a fixed point be? Then use Poincare Bendixson clearly, yes?

Last edited:
There can't be any fixed points in trapping region. There can be a fixed point at the origin? So to determing the stability I determine the fixed point at the origin?

Rubik said:
There can't be any fixed points in trapping region. There can be a fixed point at the origin? So to determing the stability I determine the fixed point at the origin?

Sure there is a fixed point at the origin. But that doesn't matter since it's not in your trapping region. Then what does your theorem tell you?

So the flow enters the trapping region about the origin which has no critical points which means it is a stable periodic orbit in the trapping region..

Rubik said:
So the flow enters the trapping region about the origin which has no critical points which means it is a stable periodic orbit in the trapping region..

Not quite. It tells you there IS a periodic orbit in the trapping region. What's the exact statement of the theorem you are using?

Suppose [itex]\alpha[/itex](x0) enters and does not leave some closed and bounded domain D that contains no critical points. This means that [itex]\phi[/itex](x0, t) [itex]\in[/itex] D for all t≥[itex]\tau[/itex], for some [itex]\tau[/itex]≥0. Then there is at least one periodic orbit in D and this orbit is in the [itex]\omega[/itex]-limit set of x0.

What does this mean in terms of stability? I have no idea how to determine the stability?

I'm maybe overextending myself here, but didn't the original problem ask you to show that there is a periodic orbit? I don't think it said anything about stability?

Yes it did, but I didn't realize there was a second part that asks to determine its stability characteristics..

Rubik said:
Yes it did, but I didn't realize there was a second part that asks to determine its stability characteristics..

Ok, dynamical systems aren't really something I know well, so I might have to recuse myself here. Sorry.

No problem thanks so much for your help!

1. What is Poincare Bendixson's Theorem?

Poincare Bendixson's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that helps us understand the behavior of solutions to differential equations in two-dimensional systems.

2. What does the theorem state?

The theorem states that if a system of differential equations has a bounded solution in a two-dimensional system, then it will eventually approach a periodic orbit, a fixed point, or a finite number of fixed points.

3. What is the significance of this theorem?

This theorem is significant because it provides a method for analyzing the long-term behavior of solutions in a two-dimensional system. It allows us to determine if a system will eventually reach a steady state or if it will exhibit more complex behavior, such as oscillations or chaos.

4. How is this theorem used in science?

Poincare Bendixson's Theorem is used in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, and engineering, to understand the behavior of complex systems. It can help predict the behavior of ecological populations, the stability of mechanical systems, and the dynamics of chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to this theorem?

While Poincare Bendixson's Theorem is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It only applies to two-dimensional systems, and it assumes that the system is smooth and has a continuous derivative. Additionally, it may not be applicable to systems with strong external forces or random disturbances.