I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of drawing the I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode and how the curve will vary with temperature and light illumination. The individual has the diode equation and is looking for information on how the curve will be affected by temperature and light. They are also advised to post similar questions in the homework forum in the future.
smn
Hello all,
I've been tasked with drawing the I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode and I've managed to do that fine.
Now, I've been tasked with showing how this curve will vary with temperature (200-400 deg.c) and by illumination with light of photon energy greater than the semiconductor band gap.
I've been trwling through the net and some library books but can't find any information relevant to the last two tasks.
Could anyone point me in the right direction or show a link to somewhere that may help?
Regards
smn

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have the diode equation, right? Id = Is(e^qV/kT - 1) The variation with temperature is shown explicitly there. As for the photocurrent, it is mostly independent of reverse bias, but I'm not sure what it is like with a forward biased device. Probably still independent of bias, but I'm not sure. And the photocurrent flows in the reverse direction, from cathode to anode. Look up the diode equation and also look up photodiodes.

BTW, if this is for a homework assignment, we're supposed to post and answer those over in the homework forums.

Thanks for your reply Berkemen,

Yes, i do have that equation, i think i was looking at the problem a little too deep!

The tasks that I've been set are from an old exam paper. They're not 'official homeworks' but in future i will post any questions of this type in the homework forum.

Regards

smn

1. What is a p-n junction diode?

A p-n junction diode is a type of semiconductor device that is made up of a p-type region and an n-type region. These regions are created by doping silicon with different types of impurities, creating a boundary or junction between them. This junction allows for the flow of electric current in only one direction, making it a key component in many electronic circuits.

2. What is the I-V characteristic of a silicon p-n junction diode?

The I-V characteristic of a p-n junction diode refers to the relationship between the applied voltage (V) and the resulting current (I). In a silicon p-n junction diode, the current initially increases slowly with increasing voltage, but at a certain point (known as the breakdown voltage), the current rapidly increases. This characteristic is typically represented by a curved line on a graph, with current on the y-axis and voltage on the x-axis.

3. How does the doping of the p-n junction affect its I-V characteristic?

The amount and type of doping in the p-n junction can greatly affect its I-V characteristic. For example, a higher concentration of dopants in the n-type region can lead to a lower breakdown voltage and a steeper slope in the I-V curve. On the other hand, a lower concentration of dopants in the p-type region can lead to a higher breakdown voltage and a shallower slope. The exact doping levels can be carefully controlled during the manufacturing process to achieve desired characteristics.

4. What factors can affect the I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode?

Aside from the doping levels, other factors that can affect the I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode include temperature, light exposure, and the type of material used for the contacts. Higher temperatures can cause an increase in the current at a given voltage, while exposure to light can decrease the breakdown voltage. The type of material used for the contacts can also impact the I-V characteristics, as different materials can have different barrier heights at the junction.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode?

Understanding the I-V characteristics of a silicon p-n junction diode is crucial for designing and analyzing electronic circuits. This knowledge is used in the development of devices such as rectifiers, voltage regulators, and switches. It also plays a key role in the design of solar panels, as p-n junctions are an important component in converting sunlight into electricity. Additionally, understanding the I-V characteristics can help in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues with electronic devices.