2D isotropic mass-spring system, need to find maximum distance from origin

In summary: Next, my initial approach was to set a function r(t)=sqrt(x(t)^2+y(t)^2), take the derivative set to zero and solve for t that way. In principle this would have given me the times at which the distance is at a max or a min. I only got one solution which I'm not sure makes sense.You're probably thinking of solving for the max or min using the derivative, but you're forgetting that you need to find the initial conditions first. Without those you can't solve for anything.
naele

Homework Statement

I have a 2D isotropic mass-spring system. The mass is pulled a distance A=1m, and then given an upwards kick with a velocity v_0. The k=1, m=1kg.

I need to find the furthest distance from the origin the mass will travel in its orbit.

Homework Equations

[tex]x(t)=A_x\cos(\omega t)[/tex]
[tex]y(t)=A_y\cos(\omega t-\delta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I'm unsure of is how to handle the relative phase. I initially just solved for it using the initial conditions so when t=0
[tex]0=A_y\cos(-\delta)[/tex]
[tex] \delta=-\cos^{-1}(0)[/tex]
[tex]A_y=\frac{v_0}{\sin(\delta)\omega}[/tex]
I'm not 100% sure if this is acceptable.

Next, my initial approach was to set a function r(t)=sqrt(x(t)^2+y(t)^2), take the derivative set to zero and solve for t that way. In principle this would have given me the times at which the distance is at a max or a min. I only got one solution which I'm not sure makes sense.

So I have

[tex]r(t)=\sqrt{(\cos(\omega t))^2+(A_y\cos(\omega t-\delta))^2}[\tex]

where for simplicity I substituted [itex]A_x=1[/itex]. Taking the derivative gives a really messy result

[tex]r'(t)=\frac{-2\cos(\omega t)\sin(\omega t)\omega+2A_y^2\cos(-\omega t+\delta)\sin(-\omega t+\delta)\omega}{2\sqrt{(\cos(\omega t))^2+(A_y\cos(\omega t-\delta))^2}}[/tex]

Setting equal to 0 then

[tex]2\cos(\omega t)\sin(\omega t)=2A_y^2\sin(-\omega t+\delta)\sin(-\omega t+\delta)[/tex]

Using a trig identity

[tex]\sin(2\omega t)=A_y^2\sin(2(-\omega t+\delta))[/tex]

I should mention I used Maple to find the derivative, and then I used Maple again to solve for t. This is the expression it gave me

[tex]t=\frac{\arctan(\frac{A_y^2\sin(2\delta)}{1+A_y^2\cos(2\delta)})}{2\omega}[/tex]

This is the point where I am. I'm not at all sure about my work.

edit: it seems like I broke the latex interpreter. The equation it's not displaying is Ay=v_0/(sin(delta)w)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
naele said:

Homework Equations

[tex]x(t)=A_x\cos(\omega t)[/tex]
[tex]y(t)=A_y\cos(\omega t-\delta)[/tex]
Well for starters, those aren't the right equations. You're probably thinking of circular motion, which is described by the equations
[tex]x(t) = A\cos(\omega t + \delta)[/tex]
[tex]y(t) = A\sin(\omega t + \delta)[/tex]
But then again, this isn't circular motion. So there's no reason you'd expect those equations to work. (Note that when using the proper equations in the appropriate situation, you would solve for the phase using the initial conditions.)

naele said:
Next, my initial approach was to set a function r(t)=sqrt(x(t)^2+y(t)^2), take the derivative set to zero and solve for t that way. In principle this would have given me the times at which the distance is at a max or a min. I only got one solution which I'm not sure makes sense.
That would be the painful way to do it :wink: Think about it this way: what conservation laws apply to the system?

Hmm, I would say conservation of energy applies. In which case the maximum distance is achieved all energy = potential energy, or [tex]U=\frac{1}{2}k(x+y)^2[/tex].

I'm just not sure how I can use that to solve for the maximum distance.

Last edited:

1. What is a 2D isotropic mass-spring system?

A 2D isotropic mass-spring system is a physical model used to study the behavior of a system of masses connected by springs in two dimensions. This system assumes that all springs have the same stiffness and all masses have the same mass.

2. How is the maximum distance from the origin calculated in a 2D isotropic mass-spring system?

The maximum distance from the origin in a 2D isotropic mass-spring system can be found by analyzing the displacement of each mass from its equilibrium position. The maximum distance is the sum of the displacements of all masses in the system.

3. What factors affect the maximum distance from the origin in a 2D isotropic mass-spring system?

The maximum distance from the origin in a 2D isotropic mass-spring system is affected by the stiffness of the springs, the mass of the masses, and the initial conditions of the system (i.e. initial displacements and velocities).

4. Can the maximum distance from the origin be greater than the initial distance in a 2D isotropic mass-spring system?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum distance from the origin to be greater than the initial distance in a 2D isotropic mass-spring system. This can occur if the system is underdamped, meaning that the damping force is not strong enough to prevent the masses from oscillating with a larger amplitude.

5. How is the maximum distance from the origin related to the natural frequency of a 2D isotropic mass-spring system?

The maximum distance from the origin is directly proportional to the natural frequency of a 2D isotropic mass-spring system. This means that as the natural frequency increases, the maximum distance from the origin also increases.