Which project should I choose for my final year project?

In summary, the person is currently 8 months away from graduation and has been offered two projects from different companies. One is with a larger company where they will start working after graduation, and the other is with a smaller company. They are considering which project to choose and are wondering if having diversity on their CV is important. The expert suggests going for the second project as it will provide networking opportunities, exposure to different skills, and can still contribute to their future job. They also advise considering the commitment to the company and potential long-term benefits when making the decision.
zak8000
Hey guys, I have a good job lined up for me after I graduate with a good company, i am currently 8 months away from graduation. I have a diffcult desicion to make about my final year project. I have been offered projects from two companies and one of them is the one i start working for at the start of next year while the other one is a small based company.

so i was wondering if it is better to choose the small based company option because i could add it on my CV that i worked with another company. or should i choose the other project because it would help me elevate within the company faster. there are other factors which are also making this decision difficult for me. so which option would be better for me?

I appreciate any help offered

Physics news on Phys.org
Id go for the second project. People have lots of different jobs in their life and diversity on your CV is a must. Also, you make more contacts that way and even if they are a small company networking never hurts. You are also likely to gain skills and experience that will help in your future job that are maybe different than if you stick with the company who have offered a job (you'll gain those skills at the job company anyway so working with the other company might give you exposure to different skills).

First off I would make a decision like that based on what you know about the projects themselves. Assuming they're equally interesting, how likely is it that you're going to work long-term (say at least four years) at the company you've been hired at?

If that's at least moderately likely, I would go for the project with that company. It will help you with learning about them. It will give you skills that you know you are going to use (as opposed to skills you might use). It demonstrates committment to the company. In four plus years, potential employers aren't going to care too much about the details school project if you have four years of experience on larger scale projects.

1. What is the process for making difficult project decisions?

The process for making difficult project decisions typically involves gathering all relevant information, analyzing potential risks and benefits, consulting with team members or stakeholders, and ultimately using critical thinking and problem-solving skills to make a decision that aligns with the project goals and objectives.

2. How do you handle conflicting opinions or ideas during a difficult project decision?

When faced with conflicting opinions or ideas during a difficult project decision, it is important to actively listen to all perspectives and try to find a common ground or compromise. If necessary, involve a neutral third party to help mediate and facilitate a resolution.

3. What factors should be considered when making a difficult project decision?

There are several factors that should be considered when making a difficult project decision, such as the project goals and objectives, timeline and resources, potential risks and benefits, stakeholder input, and the overall impact on the project and its stakeholders.

4. How do you minimize the negative impact of a difficult project decision?

To minimize the negative impact of a difficult project decision, it is important to communicate openly and transparently with all stakeholders, provide a clear rationale for the decision, and offer support or resources to mitigate any potential negative effects. Additionally, regularly reviewing and adjusting the decision if necessary can help minimize negative consequences.

5. Can difficult project decisions be reversed or changed?

In some cases, difficult project decisions can be reversed or changed if new information or circumstances arise. However, it is important to carefully consider all potential consequences and consult with relevant stakeholders before making any changes to a project decision. Additionally, having a contingency plan in place can help mitigate the need for major reversals or changes.