Physics 101: Is Phy 201 Necessary for Engineers?

• Thread starter vt33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the recommendation of taking physics 201, an algebra-based physics course for med students, before taking physics 211, a calculus-based course for engineers and science majors. The speaker questions the necessity and benefits of taking the extra class and considers individual factors such as understanding of calculus and confidence in physics 101. The reason for the recommendation is explained as 211 being a more challenging course and more focused on calculus, which can be difficult to jump into without prior experience. Ultimately, it is suggested to take 201 first to gain a better understanding of problem-solving before moving on to the more advanced 211 course.
vt33
I didn't take any physics in high school, but I am currently taking physics 101. My prof recommends that we take phy 201 which is algebra based physics for med students before we take phy 211 for engineers and science majors. I don't mind taking the extra class, but would you guys recommend it? Is is necessary or just more beneficial?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the structure of your courses, but are you sure it is not redundant? Is Physics 101 not also algebra-based physics? How much more advanced is 201? In the end, I think it depends very much on your individual situation. I'm assuming 211 is calculus based. Do you have a handle on calculus already? That's something to consider (not that 201 will help you at all in that respect). Are you doing fairly well in 101? Confident enough skip ahead to the good stuff? That's the key. It's all about what you're comfortable with. If you feel you need some extra revision, or don't want to rush things, then maybe you should takes the prof's advice. I'm not sure why he's giving it, but he definitely knows a whole bunch of stuff that I don't about the structure of your courses and about just how well 101 prepares you for what's coming next. So weigh these factors and make the judgement call.

The reason your prof asked you to take phy 201 instead of jumping right into phy 211 is because physics 211 is:
1) A more challenging course.
2) More based on Calculus...
People often find it difficult to jump right into physics because it is ALOT! of problem solving. My suggestion would be to take 201 just to get a better idea of how to solve problems with ease; then jump into 211. Remember that engineers physics will be tougher then the med school physics since it will involve more applied math and more complex problems...

1. What is Physics 101?

Physics 101 is an introductory course in physics that covers the basic principles and laws of motion, energy, and forces. It is often a required course for science and engineering majors.

2. Why is Physics 101 important?

Physics 101 is important because it provides a foundation for understanding the physical world and its laws. It also teaches critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in science and engineering fields.

3. Is Physics 101 necessary for engineering majors?

While the answer may vary depending on the specific engineering program, Physics 101 is often a required course for engineering majors. It provides a fundamental understanding of the physical principles that are necessary for engineering applications.

4. Can I skip Physics 101 and take Phy 201 instead?

Some engineering programs may allow students to take Phy 201, a more advanced physics course, in place of Physics 101. However, it is important to check with your program advisor to ensure that Phy 201 covers all the necessary material for your degree.

5. What topics does Physics 101 cover?

Physics 101 typically covers topics such as kinematics, forces, energy, momentum, and thermodynamics. It may also include an introduction to electricity and magnetism. The specific topics may vary depending on the instructor and curriculum.