Register to reply

Isomer of butene

by kelvin macks
Tags: butene, isomer
Share this thread:
kelvin macks
Jun9-14, 11:28 AM
P: 60
this website only shows 5 isomer for butene. which is 1-butene, 2-butene(cis and trans), 2-methylpropene, cyclobutane. but i have 1 extra compared to the website which is 1-methyl-propene. I correct or the website correct?

http://www.ausetute.com.au/namisene.html
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists create nanofibers using unprecedented new method
Nanostructured metal-oxide catalyst efficiently converts CO2 to methanol (w/ Video)
Researchers discover low-grade nonwoven cotton picks up 50 times own weight of oil
Borek
Jun9-14, 11:36 AM
Admin
P: 23,400
1-methyl-propene is equivalent of either 1-butene or 2-butene. I am not sure of which, as it is not clear to me where do you want to put the methyl.
tadchem
Jun9-14, 12:25 PM
P: 70
Putting the methyl on the #1 carbon of the propene makes the carbon skeleton 4 carbons long and linear - the same as 2-butene.

kelvin macks
Jun9-14, 06:40 PM
P: 60
Isomer of butene

Quote Quote by Borek View Post
1-methyl-propene is equivalent of either 1-butene or 2-butene. I am not sure of which, as it is not clear to me where do you want to put the methyl.
here's is it. i'm not sure whether the name is correct or not.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140610_073343[1].jpg  
Borek
Jun10-14, 02:16 AM
Admin
P: 23,400
And how the structure in your image is different from butene-1?
tadchem
Jun10-14, 07:05 AM
P: 70
The names seems to be confused about exactly which carbon on the propene skeleton is the #1 carbon.
By convention, the #1 carbon in propene is the one on the end that has the double bond to its neighbor.
That said, you have attached a substituent group (methyl) to the #3 carbon, not the #1 carbon.
If the substituent were anything that did not have a carbon attaching to the propene, then the nomenclature should be somethhing like 3-[substituent]propene.
For example 3-bromopropene or 3-ethoxypropene.
Since you have attached another carbon to the 3-carbon chain of the propene, your carbon skeleton is now longer, and the name propene no longer applies.

Register to reply