Calculating Work and Energy in a Block on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation involves a calculation of various types of work and energy related to a 4.6 kg block being pushed up a 37° inclined plane by a 75 N force. The initial kinetic energy, work done by the 75 N force, work done by friction force, and work done by gravity are calculated and discussed. There is also a clarification on the calculation of work done by gravity and the total energy of the system.
chazgurl4life
A 4.6 kg block is pushed 5.6 m up a rough 37° inclined plane by a horizontal force of 75 N. If the initial speed of the block is 2.2 m/s up the plane and a constant kinetic friction force of 25 N opposes the motion, *calculate the following: A) the inital KE of the block
B) the work done by the 75N force
C) The work done by friction force
D) the work done bt gravity.

Now i figured out that a) initial KE = 1/2mv^2=.5(4.6kg)(cos37 degrees)
B) Work done by the 75N= Fdcostheta=75N(5.6m)(cose37)
Now c &d are presenting a problem for me

Physics news on Phys.org
(a)Your initial kinetic energy is wrong, you don't need to resolve because the velocity is given up the plane.

(c)is simply the energy dissappated due to friction. So it is the frictional force mulitplied by distance

actually my initial KE was correct according to my notes but thank you very much..i appreciate it

should the wortk done by friction force supposed to be negative because its opposite to going up the plane

if everything works out should work= 25 N (-5.6m)=-140 Joules

chazgurl4life said:
actually my initial KE was correct according to my notes but thank you very much..i appreciate it

Well, I'm afraid your notes are wrong. Either that or you've typed the question wrong.

chazgurl4life said:

Nope, your calculation of initial KE isn't right. I think you should try understanding the concepts, rather than try applying equations from your notes.

lol...im sorry made a typo above ...sorry PE= .1/2mv^2 = so its supposed to be Pe=.5(4.6 kg)(2.2 m/s)^2=>11.132 Joules

chazgurl4life said:
should the wortk done by friction force supposed to be negative because its opposite to going up the plane

if everything works out should work= 25 N (-5.6m)=-140 Joules
Yep, that's right.

than you for your assistance

How do i figure out the final KE and the work done by normal force?

chazgurl4life said:
The total final KE must be the same as the total starting KE, so:
Starting KE - Work Done by block + Work done on block = Final KE + GPE

chazgurl4life said:

Work done by the normal force is not the same as work done by gravity. I believe the question asks for the work done by gravity.

so if i have this correct the work done on the block is performed by gravity & fiction and the work done by the block is the 75 N force:
So :
111.132 J -335 J(75cos37degrees) + -140 J( friction)+ Work done by gravity = Final Ke
is this correct

chazgurl4life said:
so if i have this correct the work done on the block is performed by gravity & fiction and the work done by the block is the 75 N force:
So :
111.132 J -335 J(75cos37degrees) + -140 J( friction)+ Work done by gravity = Final Ke
is this correct

It should read;

[tex]11.132 + 5.6\times75\cos 37 - 140J + W_{gravity} = E_{final}[/tex]

You are giving the block energy when you apply the force, therefore it must be positive.

is the work done by gravity attributed to mass(distance) * 9.8 or must i include the incline which would make it mgcostheta=Work done by gravity

Work done by gravity is simply mgh - Force (mg) times distance moved (h)

hello is anyone there

1. What is work and energy?

Work and energy are two closely related concepts in physics. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work. It comes in different forms such as kinetic, potential, and thermal energy.

2. What is the relationship between work and energy?

The relationship between work and energy is that work is a transfer of energy. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to that object. Similarly, when an object does work, it loses energy.

3. How do you calculate work and energy?

To calculate work, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. The formula is W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. Energy can be calculated using different formulas depending on the type of energy, such as KE = 1/2mv^2 for kinetic energy and PE = mgh for potential energy.

4. What are some real-life examples of work and energy?

Some real-life examples of work and energy include pushing a shopping cart, lifting weights, and throwing a ball. In these situations, work is done on the object, and energy is transferred to it. Other examples include a car moving along a road, a light bulb producing light, and a battery powering a device.

5. How can work and energy be conserved?

According to the Law of Conservation of Energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. In terms of work, it can be conserved by using simple machines, such as levers and pulleys, to reduce the amount of work required to do a task.