Troubleshooting an Odd Square Wave Oscillator: A Scientist's Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a square wave oscillator using a schematic found on the internet. The speaker asks for assistance in troubleshooting the schematic and in finding a simpler alternative. The suggested solutions include using a 555 timer IC or a 74HC4060 combination oscillator and divider chip. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the schematic being unreliable due to being created by amateurs rather than engineers.
KoZuEst
I found a schematic from the internet that was claimed to generate a square waveform at a decent frequency. I built the thing but it doesn't seem to work at all.

I'll attach a picture of the schematic. Could you tell me what's wrong with it and if there is any other relatively easy way to make a square wave oscillator?
I really don't like running to my electronics store to get every little component.. The clerk already knows me by name.. :D

Attachments

• Squarewave.GIF
    Squarewave.GIF
    8.9 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You could just use a 555 timer IC -- that's a common way to do a simple oscillator. Or you could use a 74HC4060 combination oscillator and divider chip.

ok, thanks.

Heh.. I looked into it. I thought, it'd be a lot more complicated.
Thanks

Berkeman is right, much easier to use 555 and those "schematics" from the net usually never work, since they are put together by amateurs, not engineers.

1. What is an odd square wave oscillator?

An odd square wave oscillator is a type of electronic oscillator that produces a square wave signal with an odd number of harmonics. This means that the waveform consists of only odd-numbered harmonics, such as the fundamental frequency, third harmonic, fifth harmonic, etc. This type of oscillator is often used in audio and radio frequency applications.

2. How does an odd square wave oscillator work?

An odd square wave oscillator typically consists of an amplifier, a feedback network, and a nonlinear element such as a diode or transistor. The feedback network ensures that the output signal is fed back to the input with a specific phase shift, which causes the oscillator to oscillate at a specific frequency. The nonlinear element helps to shape the output signal into a square wave.

3. What are the advantages of using an odd square wave oscillator?

One advantage of using an odd square wave oscillator is that it is relatively simple and inexpensive to construct. It also produces a waveform with a rich harmonic content, making it useful for applications such as audio synthesis. Additionally, it has a wide frequency range and can be easily tuned by adjusting the values of the components in the oscillator circuit.

4. What are some common applications of an odd square wave oscillator?

Odd square wave oscillators are commonly used in audio equipment, such as synthesizers and tone generators, to produce unique and complex waveforms. They are also used in radio frequency applications, such as in radio transmitters and receivers, as well as in telecommunications equipment. Additionally, they can be used in testing and measuring equipment to generate precise and stable reference signals.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems with an odd square wave oscillator?

If an odd square wave oscillator is not functioning properly, there are a few things you can check. First, make sure all the components are connected correctly and that there are no loose connections. You can also check the values of the components to ensure they are within the specified ranges. If the oscillator is still not working, you may need to replace the nonlinear element or adjust the feedback network to improve the stability of the oscillator.