How can a square wave generator be used in a resonance inductive circuit?

In summary, a square wave generator can be used to produce an inverting current, but you'll need a circuit that has a power supply and a step-up transformer.
alpine2beach
Square wave generator...what?

Okay, so I built a square wave generator using a 555 timer and schematics that I found off the internet. Upon completion, I dumbly realized that there is only an output. I wanted to use the square wave generator in resonance inductive circuit, but seeing as there is only an output, how would I be able to work it into the circuit? If not, how would it be used?

Engineering news on Phys.org

You can take the output between the negative terminal of the supply and the "output" pin (pin 3) of the 555.

Could you explain what your mean by "resonance inductive circuit" ?

If you mean a series tuned circuit, then the 555 can drive such a circuit directly, although 555s normally generate quite low frequencies and tuned circuits for such frequencies would have large expensive inductors in them.

By using small value components in the timing for the 555, they can be operated up to 500 KHz or so. Maybe higher.

vk6kro said:
You can take the output between the negative terminal of the supply and the "output" pin (pin 3) of the 555.

Could you explain what your mean by "resonance inductive circuit" ?

If you mean a series tuned circuit, then the 555 can drive such a circuit directly, although 555s normally generate quite low frequencies and tuned circuits for such frequencies would have large expensive inductors in them.

By using small value components in the timing for the 555, they can be operated up to 500 KHz or so. Maybe higher.

Thank You! I know I didn't really word "resonance inductive circuit" correctly; I meant inductive coupling. I want to be able to create an inverting current using a 555 timer and dc current (such as a battery) to power an electromagnetic induction coil. And isn't the output pin pin#6? I guess it might depend on the manufacturer...

No, the output is always pin 3.

You probably need a circuit like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR97gDGJhcG4q3Y0sGJD40emIYouLU5DqvEGkqW5JXcy8CSb7JWIw.png

This shows a lamp in the collector circuit of a power transistor, but you would need the primary of a step-up transformer to be there instead.

This one is possibly more like what you would need:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsmQlTqw9nt4OUYhcIiMqPGl_xfCSsxtejObVfUZ3_c9iHfEWbVQ.png

I think I must be misreading something... but where is the power supply (in image 1)?

Last edited:

The 555 will not give you a true 50% duty cycle square wave, which you need to do precision electrical measurements. The 555 output should be put through a good divide by 2 flip flop.

Bob S

Quick note: If you drive an inductor as shown in the first pic above, there'll be high voltage spikes just as the transistor turns off. So you might consider a damping diode (a diode in parallel with the inductor and pointing upward, in the circuit shown)

What is a square wave generator?

A square wave generator is an electronic device that produces a signal with a square waveform. This means that the signal has two distinct levels, one high and one low, and switches between them at a regular interval.

What is the purpose of a square wave generator?

A square wave generator is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a clock signal, which is used to synchronize the timing of other components. It can also be used for testing and calibration of electronic equipment.

How does a square wave generator work?

A square wave generator typically uses an oscillator circuit to produce a continuous square waveform. The oscillator circuit generates a continuous series of pulses, which are then shaped into a square waveform by a comparator or other circuit.

What are the applications of a square wave generator?

Square wave generators are used in a variety of applications, including digital electronics, telecommunications, and signal processing. They are also commonly used in scientific experiments and research, such as in physics and biology.

What are the advantages of using a square wave generator?

Square wave generators have several advantages, including their simplicity, low cost, and ability to produce a stable and precise signal. They also have a wide range of frequency and amplitude capabilities, making them useful for a variety of applications.