Decibel questions, how many people are cheering

• Thread starter VTC-nerds
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of decibels to determine the number of people cheering for someone in a neighborhood challenge. By using the formula dB = 10 log I/Io, it is possible to calculate the intensity of sound from a certain number of people. The answer is obtained by subtracting the original decibel level from the actual decibel level and using that value to find the ratio of intensities.
VTC-nerds

Homework Statement

In a neighborhood challenge to see who can climb a tree the fastest, you are ready to climb. Your friends have surrounded you in a circle as a cheering section; each individual alone would cause a sound intensity level of 80 dB at your location. If the actual sound level at your location is 87 dB, how many people are rooting for you?

Homework Equations

Not a clue.

The Attempt at a Solution

The book reads 5 as the answer, how would we get this though?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand what a decibel (or even, a bel) is?

Yes, but without actually using the logs or taking the reverse of a log to get the answer, would there be a easier way to get it. i am just looking for the way to get the answer!

BEL= log base 10 I/Io
DECIBEL= 10log base 10 I/Io

... Now... how would i obtain the answer?

You don't actually need logs ( assuming you have a calculator that can do powers)
You are looking for the ratio between the intensity of one person and the intensity from N people, dBs are designed to make it easy to do this calculation.

You know db = 10 log I/Io so I/Io = 10 ^ ( db/10)

Right, but I guess what I'm trying to say, is there a way or equation that adds a specific amount of decibels onto the original amount if they are all at the same amount of decibels.

like for instance 5 people at 80 decibels comes out to 87 decibels. how would i get the 5?

87 - 80 = 7db. 10*log_10(7) ~ 5.

genneth said:
87 - 80 = 7db. 10*log_10(7) ~ 5.
Not quite
87-80 = 7db and I/Io = 10^(7/10) ~ 5 and Io = 1 so I = 5

Thank you.

1. How do decibels measure sound?

Decibels (dB) are a unit of measurement used to quantify the intensity or loudness of sound. They are based on a logarithmic scale, meaning that a small change in decibel level represents a large change in actual sound intensity.

2. What is the average decibel level of a human conversation?

The average decibel level of a human conversation is around 60 dB. However, this can vary depending on the environment and the volume of the speakers' voices.

3. How many decibels is a loud concert?

A loud concert can reach decibel levels of 110 dB or higher. It is important to protect your hearing in environments with high decibel levels to avoid permanent damage.

4. Can decibels be harmful to our health?

Yes, prolonged exposure to high decibel levels can cause hearing loss and other health issues such as tinnitus. It is important to limit our exposure to loud noises and use ear protection when necessary.

5. How many people cheering can reach a certain decibel level?

The decibel level of people cheering can vary greatly depending on the number of people, the intensity of their cheering, and the size of the space. However, a large group of people cheering can reach decibel levels of 90 dB or higher.