Determine the mean of the position <x> in a state

In summary, the problem states:Express the operator \hat{x} by the ladder operators a_{+} and a_{-}, and determine the mean of the position \left\langle x \right\rangle in the state \left| \psi \right\rangle.The Hamiltonian for a one dimensional harmonic oscillator:\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^{2}}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}mw^{2}\hat{x}^{2},where w is the oscillators frequency, and x and p are the operators for position and momentum. The normalized energy eigenfunctions for H is denoted \left| n \
Ylle

Homework Statement

Hello everyone...

I'm kinda stuck with a problem I'm trying to do.
The problem states:

Express the operator [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] by the ladder operators [itex]a_{+}[/itex] and [itex]a_{-}[/itex], and determine the mean of the position [itex]\left\langle x \right\rangle[/itex] in the state [itex]\left| \psi \right\rangle[/itex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\left| \psi \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\left| 3 \right\rangle + \left| 2 \right\rangle)[/tex]

Hamiltonian for a one dimensional harmonic oscillator:

[tex]\hat{H} = \frac{\hat{p}^{2}}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}mw^{2}\hat{x}^{2},[/tex]
where [itex]w[/itex] is the oscillators frequency, and [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] are the operators for position and momentum. The normalized energy eigenfunctions for [itex]H[/itex] is denoted [itex]\left| n \right\rangle[/itex], where [itex]n = 0,1,2,...[/itex] so that:

[tex]\hat{H}\left| n \right\rangle = (n + \frac{1}{2})\hbarw\left| \psi \right\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first is easy, since:

[tex]\hat{x} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2mw}}(a_{+} + a_{-}).[/tex]

My problem is finding the mean of the position.

I tried to do it like this:

[tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2mw}}\int \psi^{*}_{n}(a_{+} + a_{-})\psi_{n} dx[/tex]

And that didn't go well. It got very confusing, so I was not sure if I was on the right track or not. So here I am.

I know the answer should be:

[tex]\left\langle x \right\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2}}\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{mw}},[/tex]
but again, I'm kinda lost atm.

So I was hoping any of you could give me a clue. Something in my heads tells me it's pretty simple, but I really can't figure it out right now, so :)Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: what are
[tex]a_+\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
and
[tex]a_-\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
equal to?

diazona said:
Hint: what are
[tex]a_+\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
and
[tex]a_-\lvert n\rangle[/tex]
equal to?
[tex]a_+ \lvert n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1} \lvert n+1\rangle[/tex]
and
[tex]a_- \lvert n\rangle = \sqrt{n} \lvert n-1\rangle[/tex]

I think I did something like that, but as I said. I may have messed it up. But I was right with the thought I had ? I just need to redo the math perhaps ?

The idea is to do the problem without resorting to doing any integrals. Just use the orthogonality of the eigenstates. For example,

[tex]\langle 1|a_+|0 \rangle = \langle 1|\sqrt{1}|1\rangle = 1[/tex]

vela said:
The idea is to do the problem without resorting to doing any integrals. Just use the orthogonality of the eigenstates. For example,

[tex]\langle 1|a_+|0 \rangle = \langle 1|\sqrt{1}|1\rangle = 1[/tex]
Hmmm... I think I may have it now. But what if the ladder operators are used on state |3> fx. ? At least the a+ operator. Then it would raise it to state 4, but that state isn't represented here, so will that just equal 0, or... ?

Yes, that term will drop out.

Thank you very much. I thought it was what I did to start with, but I just messed it up.
But I got it now :)

Thank you.

1. What is the definition of "mean position" in a state?

The mean position in a state refers to the average location of an object or system at a given point in time. It is calculated by taking the sum of all positions and dividing it by the number of positions.

2. How is the mean position determined in a state?

The mean position in a state is determined by taking multiple measurements of an object or system's position and calculating the average using a mathematical formula. This can be done using position sensors or tracking technology.

3. What is the significance of determining the mean position in a state?

Determining the mean position in a state is important for understanding the overall behavior and movement of an object or system. It can provide valuable information for predicting future positions and making decisions based on the data.

4. Can the mean position in a state change over time?

Yes, the mean position in a state can change over time as the object or system moves and new measurements are taken. It is important to continually track and update the mean position to accurately reflect the current state.

5. How can errors in measuring positions affect the determination of the mean position in a state?

Errors in measuring positions can introduce inaccuracies in the determination of the mean position in a state. These errors can be minimized by using precise measurement techniques and taking multiple measurements to calculate a more accurate average.